I recently bought a 2005 crf150f and it doesn't want to idle but runs great otherwise. I know the carb needs cleaned out and that is my next project but before I did all that I sprayed some gumout into the carb as it is instructed on the bottle and I went out into the garage about an hour later and gas was all over the floor. It was leaking out of the air box overflow. The gas had come through the carb through the air filter and out of the little drain on the airbox. I'm not sure if the gumout ate through a gasket or a valve or something but has anyone else had this problem? I didn't leave it sit that time either. I ran the bike for a minute or two down the road. I close the choke and shut off the gas so it's not leaking anymore. Does anyone know what's going on?

I recently bought a 2005 crf150f and it doesn't want to idle but runs great otherwise. I know the carb needs cleaned out and that is my next project but before I did all that I sprayed some gumout into the carb as it is instructed on the bottle and I went out into the garage about an hour later and gas was all over the floor. It was leaking out of the air box overflow. The gas had come through the carb through the air filter and out of the little drain on the airbox. I'm not sure if the gumout ate through a gasket or a valve or something but has anyone else had this problem? I didn't leave it sit that time either. I ran the bike for a minute or two down the road. I close the choke and shut off the gas so it's not leaking anymore. Does anyone know what's going on?

Yes the carb needs to be cleaned properly and thoroughly.... there are no shortcuts from a can.

If you absolutely make sure that the float level is set exactly like it states in the Factory Honda shop manual, you will be rewarded with many less headaches.

What he said ^. All that carb cleaner does is loosen stuff from one place and clog up another. My best guess to you situation with gas flowing out the air box is that the float valve is leaking from loosened deposits and the bowl overflow is clogged.

Thanks guys. I was planning on taking the carb out this weekend and giving it a good cleaning anyway. I already drained all the old gas out and ran some sea foam through it and changed the spark plug. The guy I bought it from had it sitting in a storage unit for a while and I knew it needed cleaning when I bought it. My guess is just the main jet and pilot jet but I'm gonna soak it in cleaner this weekend and try to get it running like new again

Run good fuel. It lasts longer in storage and performs better. I run Shell 93 religiously and store my bike 5+ months over the winter. Every time I open the carb it looks as clean as it could ever be. I've never used fuel additives.

• Like 1

I've also been told ethanol free gas is the best to run in them because it keeps them from gunking up. I will run better fuel next tank. I have around two gallons left of regular 89 octane left

Fuel out the air box would indicated pressure from the tank, either vapor of gravity. If the carb overflow is plugged that would do it, check the tank vent while your at it.

I have (involuntarily) used 10% Ethanol for the past five years and found if you run the fuel thru regularly it isn't a problem. Letting it sit, yes problems.

The ethanol gas is ok in a daily driver but begins spoiling in a matter of weeks.  The smaller jets clog more faster.  Brake cleaner through the pilot jet and both fuel screw passages.  If it sat for months, you may need to run a small wire through as brutal as it may be.

IMG_0194.JPG

Every drop of fuel that enters the tank should have something like this mixed into it.

If it did there would be a lot less posts about bad fuel/dirty carbs/clogged jets.

Saves a lot of headaches....