Kick start engaging electric start?

Howdy,

I'll start off saying that my question is actually regarding a 2012 Husaberg TE250 but since they have virtually the same engine, I figured there would be more KTM 250 XCW owners that have encountered this problem.

I got home yesterday from a race and went to start the bike up via kick. But as I pushed the lever down I could hear the electric start gears turning. Nothing sounds like it is grinding, just gears that are turning that shouldn't be turning.

Also, immediately after my race I went to start the bike with the electric start and it definitely took a few extra turns of the motor to get running. It sounded more 'slappy' and rattly than normal as I held the start button down, but I was wiped out by that point so I can't be completely sure of what I was actually hearing(nor do I wish to recreate the noises by testing the electric start).

Additional info...

I had the clutch basket(which is attached to the gear that is engaged by the kick start) and inner clutch cover removed about 2 weeks ago to replace the shift lever shaft. This process included removing the kick start lever and the gear on the clutch basket, but not much else of the kick mechanism.

I know I'm gonna have to open it up again but I just want to get an idea of what I should be looking for once the covers are off.

I appreciate any wisdom you can share!

Hoosleberg

Edited by hoosleberg

You have an idler gear and bendix gear in the starter assembly that stays in constant mesh with the gear on the flywheel. If you're hearing it turn, maybe it needs greasing. Maybe its bushings are worn.

44 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

You have an idler gear and bendix gear in the starter assembly that stays in constant mesh with the gear on the flywheel. If you're hearing it turn, maybe it needs greasing. Maybe its bushings are worn.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I should also add, when using the kick start it makes a sound similar to when you roll a bike with a starter motor backwards while in gear.

Edited by hoosleberg

I mis-spoke earlier. The bendix doesn't actually stay engaged with the flywheel gear. A proper working bendix expands to mesh with the flywheel gear when it sees torque from the starter motor. Did you check the bendix to see if its stuck or bad. Watch this video. It's a bad bendix with the clicking like what you may be hearing.

Watch this video starting at 3:30. 

Edited by Trailryder42

Turns out it was a bad bendix. When I removed it there was a broken seal spring hanging out of the bendix. I yanked it out but the gear would not return to its closed, freewheeling position. I guess I'm riding kick only for the time being.

Thanks for the help!

broken bendix.  I had the same problem.  &%$#@!er wouldn't disengage.

I bought a kit from Slavens that has the new bendix gearing + crown wheel gearing (2016 and up gearing spins the flywheel faster)

-bendix

-crownwheel

-4 little teflon seats that go on either side of bender and crown wheel that "hold" them on.  

Slavens has a good video on fixing this known issue.