Broken handlebar clamp

I have never come across this before. I was putting my bars back on the bike, tightening down the clamps. Front first, 20ft-lbs ( as per the manual ), and when I did the rear, the clamp cracked right up the middle. I found it very strange.

17 minutes ago, XRalways said:

I have never come across this before. I was putting my bars back on the bike, tightening down the clamps. Front first, 20ft-lbs ( as per the manual ), and when I did the rear, the clamp cracked right up the middle. I found it very strange.

Aren't you glad it didn't happen while riding? Sounds like metal fatigue.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Aren't you glad it didn't happen while riding? Sounds like metal fatigue.

I dropped my bike loading one day to go ride.  It bent the bar mount stud, so I used a pry-bar to straighten in back out; no problem.

Loaded up and went to the track.

After a few laps, the bars went 90 degrees to the forks on the face of a long, tall, table.

Somehow I landed the jump and coasted to the side of the track; loaded up and went home.

Probably metal fatigue as cjjeepercreeper said.

• Like 1

I have seen it many times. Never tighten each bolt fully, instead snug all four up finger tight, ensuring a slight, even gap is all around, then tighten in incremental stages up to full torque.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, William1 said:

I have seen it many times. Never tighten each bolt fully, instead snug all four up finger tight, ensuring a slight, even gap is all around, then tighten in incremental stages up to full torque.

In some bikes this is the right procedure but in some (most Yamahas?), tighten front bolts first (no gap) then tighten rear bolts.

• Like 1

Tightening one

54 minutes ago, Cascão said:

In some bikes this is the right procedure but in some (most Yamahas?), tighten front bolts first (no gap) then tighten rear bolts.

Tightening one side down fully then the other is never the correct way. The manuals are wrong. The bolt holes, bolts should be square to the bottom part of the clamp. I have never seen one when the bolt holes in the top half of the clamp were bored at an angle to the flat of the clamp.

• Like 3

In this type of clamps (identified by a dot on front near bolt hole), the tops are not symmetrical. when viewed from the side, the leading side (front) is longer and has a horizontal lower edge. the rear side is slightly shorter and angles up towards the rear slightly.

Sem título.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cascão said:

In this type of clamps (identified by a dot on front near bolt hole), the tops are not symmetrical. when viewed from the side, the leading side (front) is longer and has a horizontal lower edge. the rear side is slightly shorter and angles up towards the rear slightly.

Sem título.png

New one on me,  Thanks.   joe