2017 KTM 300 xc vs YZ250X

Need help weighing the differences between the 2 bikes. I've red about as much as possibly about both but anyone's personal experiences are always more useful! The bike will mainly be used for woods riding and some open fields just messing around. I have ridden the 2017 ktm 300 xcw and it felt tame but I also own a cr500. Any input about the 2 would be great!

Need help weighing the differences between the 2 bikes. I've red about as much as possibly about both but anyone's personal experiences are always more useful! The bike will mainly be used for woods riding and some open fields just messing around. I have ridden the 2017 ktm 300 xcw and it felt tame but I also own a cr500. Any input about the 2 would be great!

Tame?!

It only has the yellow spring in it and it was jetted a touch rich but I thought it would have a bit more go

Both bikes are awesome one is less money with less options... I don't think you'll find a ton of people with any decent amount of time on both..   I have an X and love it but I'd take a 17' XC in trade..lol. 

Edited by Nevada Al

It comes down to what is important to you. 

Do you want e-start,  6 speed, hydraulic clutch, easier to add lights, more power and tunability  then ktm.

Cost and a good out of the box bike then yamaha. 

Have an X now, fantastic bike and have owned several 300s and they are better but only marginally. I also have a 450 so I did not want something with gobs of power and wanted to try 250 out otherwise I would have bought the 300 for sure. At this point very happy with the X but will be getting a new 300 next spring with the TDI injection as I'm fed up with jetting.....