Some KX carnage

Not one of mine but one I do work on. Somehow went more or less straight into the side of a sand wash in third gear. Don't know if the forks are alright but I doubt it.

8722.jpeg

8720.jpeg

8721.jpeg

• Like 1

He's fine.  Must have gone right over the top of the embankment.  I've got an extra set of forks and triple clamps so he'll likely be right back at it this weekend.

Dang.  Get new bearings too.  I would be looking for frame cracks as well  

First thing to check will be frame to fender clearance.  I would not be surprised if its tweaked a little.  They're strong but they're not designed to hit walls straight on in third gear.

That's the good thing about steel though.  Its ductile and will bend before it breaks.

Yes someone managed to destroy a very hard to find crank on both sides of the threads , so I just bit the bullet and bought a new o.e .m. one .

Omg that's crazy. I do my own work, and have no idea what I'd do if I found that, aside from taking it to someone to get it off.

I might add, though, I think I understand why they did it. I had a nut that had backed off my boy's crank on his 107. Wasted the threads and did some damage to the aluminum larger clutch cover. Filled my case with shavings, so I ended up even having to do a full build, including replacing an otherwise good crank, and all the bearings.

I don't understand why more manufacturers don't just use a circlip?

On 5/1/2017 at 7:54 PM, turbo dan said:

Not one of mine but one I do work on. Somehow went more or less straight into the side of a sand wash in third gear. Don't know if the forks are alright but I doubt it.

8722.jpeg

8720.jpeg

8721.jpeg

If they had a "dislike this" button I'd push it. Ouch.