LPNF OPENS..........WHEN ?

Tajon gate was open on Saturday. I was with the kids in Gorman so don't know much more.

56 minutes ago, ediot said:

Tajon gate was open on Saturday. I was with the kids in Gorman so don't know much more.

Well, that's a good deal thing then.  The real question is, what about up at the top, at the intersection.

I imagine all the trails will be either 'better' (no grooming) or 'worse' (plowed like a corn field) after all the heavy rain we had....

• Like 1

LPNF,  good mountain, but lots of whoops on way up from gorman flats.  Got the full tour in 2004

rock turn1.jpg

side.jpg

stream.jpg

Edited by bigbob

9 hours ago, bigbob said:

LPNF,  good mountain, but lots of whoops on way up from gorman flats.  Got the full tour in 2004

rock turn1.jpg

side.jpg

stream.jpg

Those are the women's trails.

• Like 1

What trails/fire roads are the women's trails up there?  Want to bring my pop's up there but don't want to kill him (or me for that matter).  My dad has never ridden in trees before and I know he would love it

Anywhere to find an online map?

Andrew, I'd be up for a ride in the forest.  I can slip away as long as I don't have a major test coming up. How is your dad in the dez? How high / far does he want to go?....

Jimmy boy can put together a old man friendly ride. He drug a 60+year old man threw there last weekend. Unfortunately I had to miss out on most of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, absurd said:

Andrew, I'd be up for a ride in the forest.  I can slip away as long as I don't have a major test coming up. How is your dad in the dez? How high / far does he want to go?....

I'd be good for a you and me ride up there in the near future.  As far as my dad...he's a different duck kind of lol.  He NEEDS to be in his comfort zone or he doesn't have much fun.  Right now his comfort zone is putting around the gorman park trails...but I'm slowly working with him re-learning the basics so he can get off of the groomed trails.  He's coming along slowly but surely.  In a couple more rides I want to take him up on the easy stuff in the forest so he can check it out.  If that's just the fire roads, that's ok for now.  I just want to figure out where the stuff is and what the easiest ways to get to it are

5 hours ago, Andrew_v949 said:

I'd be good for a you and me ride up there in the near future.  As far as my dad...he's a different duck kind of lol.  He NEEDS to be in his comfort zone or he doesn't have much fun.  Right now his comfort zone is putting around the gorman park trails...but I'm slowly working with him re-learning the basics so he can get off of the groomed trails.  He's coming along slowly but surely.  In a couple more rides I want to take him up on the easy stuff in the forest so he can check it out.  If that's just the fire roads, that's ok for now.  I just want to figure out where the stuff is and what the easiest ways to get to it are

Take him gold hill road all the way to the top of Alamo mnt. If you're going on a week day that would be your best bet, otherwise they'll hit you up on the paved road for a plate. If you do go on weekend then drive up the road until you get to the river and stage there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew_v949 said:

Pretty much everything in the forest is very loose with small crushed rocks. Probably not in his comfort zone. 

Going up paved Gold hill would be more fun for him, as it is windy and among the trees. Some of the Hungry Valley park maybe too, like BackBone Trail (one way) or Cow Trail.

Even Rowher Flats would be a better choice IMHO.

• Like 1

Sounds like he would enjoy a putt putt around Arrowhead & Big Bear.  Hundreds of miles of fire roads through the trees with about 50 miles of ohv track.  And that's not counting the good stuff when he's ready.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt

Andrew, just take your dad on Snowy trail. It's just a little bit of a challenge but not too much. It's rated a black diamond but more like blue circle-blue square in difficulty. If it proves to be too much for him, just follow the creek to Gorman OHV park less than a mile. 

Are these trails red sticker legal. Is there a lot of ranger presence. Please PM me the answer if you think the answer is inappropriate.

Thanks for the advice fellas.  We've ridden gorman together for years.  We both know the park pretty well.  We also go to Cal city of 20 mule team or stage at Dove and go across the road to the el pasos.  He does good in the not very technical stuff.  Next time we go to Gorman, I'm just gonna work with him on the fundamentals and try to break him of the bad habits he's formed over the years.  Because he hasn't ridden much in the last 5 years, I think its a good opportunity to start him off at square 1 and get him to trust his bike so he can see what a Rekluse-equipped 300 can do.  He does really good on the groomed trails at gorman but gets all willy-nilly the minute he sees rocks.  Which is understandable being that the ONLY place we rode for years was Gorman.  Is goldhill rd all paved?  Or is it a fire road?  I forget.  I remember there is about a mile of it that is paved where you technically need to be plated, but that was it.  I forget wether or not it dead-ended into a trail head or continued into a fire road.  Either way it doesn't matter much because we're both plated.  And not that that matters much because we only ride weekdays.

Its funny tho that when we left the park a couple days ago, on the way out a ranger tried to hassle us because they saw old red stickers on our bikes....I told them to walk around back and they'll find plates.  They both kind of had a puzzled look and tried to hassle us some more, but I told them these bikes are 100% legal therefore that supersedes anything.  It looked like they wanted to pursue it more but could tell I knew more about the subject than they did.  Was kind of fulfilling knowing that we're riding legal 2T's and there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it!!!

4 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

Andrew, just take your dad on Snowy trail. It's just a little bit of a challenge but not too much. It's rated a black diamond but more like blue circle-blue square in difficulty. If it proves to be too much for him, just follow the creek to Gorman OHV park less than a mile. 

Yeah, don't do this.

It has long sections of large rocks which are also mostly off-camber, and has sections of dangerous exposure.

I'm not sure if Chris is  thinking of the right trail, as this is not a 'friendly' trail.

Nearly all of LPNF was plowed wide last year, and since then it has gotten soft, rocky, and whoopy on Tehon, and GoldHill. East Frasier is also soft and loose.

Maybe camping at Chuchupate and riding fireroad 118 would be good, as it is all messed up and not like a regular fireroad at all anymore.

Edited by Krannie McKranface
  • Like 2

That's a good idea.  And I was assuming Chris was joking.  Snowy isn't a hard trail, but its not very forgiving to floundering

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Yeah, don't do this.

It has long sections of large rocks which are also mostly off-camber, and has sections of dangerous exposure.

I'm not sure if Chris is  thinking of the right trail, as this is not a 'friendly' trail.

Nearly all of LPNF was plowed wide last year, and since then it has gotten soft, rocky, and whoopy on Tehon, and GoldHill. East Frasier is also soft and loose.

Maybe camping at Chuchupate and riding fireroad 118 would be good, as it is all messed up and not like a regular fireroad at all anymore.

+1

Good call Krannie.  Always want to make sure everybody else who follows this thread knows that Snowy is a serious trail.

Edited by Fetona
  • Like 1