2005 525exc blows starter relay fuse

So I decided to treat the 2005 to a facelift and added the 2008 front fender and headlight.  To remove the old headlight mask I also had to remove the blinkers.  I haven't replaced the blinkers yet, since I'm not using the bike on the road. I did tie the loose wires up without touching each other or the frame etc. Started it up and instantly the starter relay fuse blew,  leaving no starter. Tried a few more fuses but they all blow instantly the second I installed them, without touching any buttons etc. I have also tried it with the old headlight mask but get the same issue. I have not replaced the blinkers, could their omission be causing this issue? If so, how? I have heard that a voltage regulator could be faulty. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by the-goose

There's a dead short somewhere. Is the indicator switch in either position?, disconnecting the indicators won't cause any issues, I would disconnect the flasher relay connector thereby isolating the whole indicator circuit. Then insulate both the purple and black wires for the indicators.

Edited by TwoHundred
  • Like 1

Thanks TwoHundred - I do want to put new indicators on eventually, as this bike is street legal and I'd prefer to keep it that way for resale.  How does one diagnose a dead short...?

The most likely place to find a short in the starter system is on the hot wire (+) bolt on the starter. Mitsuba stacks a series of fiber washers on the bolt to isolate the bolt from the aluminum starter housing. If there is a path of rust or dirt from the 6mm bolt thread to the aluminum housing it is a direct short. This can happen if the fiber washers were removed and stacked on top of the wire 'eye'- as opposed to under the wire 'eye'. I remember 3 or 4 fiber washers providing insulation clearance from water and dirt. The largest washer is on the bottom and the boot pushes over it into a notch so it stays in place.

You can also test the solenoid be disconnecting the battery wire and pushing the start button. If the solenoid (or starter relay) clicks and the fuse is still good, the relay should be fine.