Never know what you get

Well I got my bike a little over a month ago and it runs great but I noticed the carb bowl was leaking a bit so I ordered a carb kit and this is what I found when I opened it up. Couldn't believe it took an hour to clean all the crap out. 

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

• Like 1

You might try a product called CLR, cleans carbs well. Buy at home improvement stores. Just don't soak it overnight. Dissolves sediment left by fuel.

I have used CLR great product!! Nope this time just a toothbrush and 3 cans of carb cleaner lol and yes there was no seal it was all rtv

Does it still run good? Lol

And yeah it ran good but was dripping from the bowl had the occasional backfire and the pilot jet was plugged.

On 5/2/2017 at 7:13 AM, jblob said:

Holy crap. Looks like somebody globbed on half a tube of black rtv instead of buying a a seal

yeah that is what i'm thinking!

some quick tiperoos on that bad boy...

You want to replace the vac release plate seal on the slide, use yamaha PN 4FN-14997-00-00 (cheapest that way)

and if you didnt already, make sure you take that fuel screw/spring/washer/oring out when you clean that carb and blow through the transition hole, the idle hole, the idle adjuster hole and the pilot jet bung

also, you can buy the mid body gasket, usually when i open them up there its got some funky stuff inside.

with the silicone job id expect there to be some x funk!

and i would make sure to blow back through the accelerator pump nozzle 

Did a full carb rebuild on it only problem is the fuel inlet leaks and 3 vent tubes leak turned out to be 4 o rings

A perfect example of why some people just shouldn't own or work on a bike. Glad you were able to clean that nasty mess up that some goof ball left for you. Sad thing is the guy probably spent more on buying a tube of RTV rather than just buying the gasket. Some people's children I tell ya.

I bought my bike used also and the air box and filter looked like it had never been washed.....EVER!!!!! I just threw the filter away and the air box took at least 1 1/2hrs to clean. The inside of the whole carb looked like it sucked up a muddy river bank. I don't even know how the bike was able to run, it literally defied logic.

• Like 1