2002 Cannondale E440 purchase?

Hello Everyone, I just finished completely rebuilding an XR650R, sold it, and now I have a little extra cash to play with. 

So I've come across a local, one owner 2002 Cannondale E440, with only a few hours on it. I'll try and post a picture of it, but it does look almost new. The owner says though he hasn't had it running in ten years. He said it will need a new battery, and the fuel flushed from the system in order to start it (I've had one fuel injected dirt bike, and Aprilia RXV450, but I never had to mess with the fuel injection). 

He is asking $2450 for it, and I'm tempted to buy it. From what I've read on the forums, the 2002 E440 was fairly well sorted out, with very good Ohlins suspension and a good cockpit for taller (like me) riders. I've seen these for sale over the years on craigslist though, and it seems like they go for that much running, and maybe less. 

So my question is, should I go for it? What do you guys think? I don't mind working on my bikes at all, but after the XR650R rebuild, right now I want something that doesn't need much, i.e. I don't feel like spending hours and hours, and any more money, upgrading it or troubleshooting (although I know purchasing a non running bike is always a gamble). Basically I just want something for the singletrack this summer that handles well, is reliable, fits me ergonomically, and doesn't cost a ton of (KTM) money.

Thanks very much for any input. 

Kerry

01313_dE2fAskA5zn_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_lhg00DDUrv6_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_h68dCgvaicX_1200x900.jpg

I'm not positive, but i thought there was something about the crank being out of balanced on those bike's. Which led to major motor problems.

Not worth it if this will be your daily driver. If you wanted a nice show bike to circle the lot and park, go for it.

• Like 3

Not familiar with those bikes but the first consideration that comes to mind is: parts availability

Unlike an older but mass produced Japanese brand,

new, used and aftermarket parts availability is no doubt much more limited.

Edited by mlatour

Thanks for the replies everyone, makes me lean towards passing on it. Usage wouldn't be that heavy on it though, I just ride single track periodically here in the Seattle area when the high country isn't snowed in, or it's not raining. Then of course there's the occasion trip to the store or the gym.

Cannondale was probably the worst bike ever made. It hasn't improved while sitting in that guy's garage. RUN away!

• Like 2

I had one.... you would need a crane to lift it on a stand. Parts are a rare bird these days...having said that, one that has been updated and sorted by ATK is pretty reliable. I wouldn't want one again, especially as my only bike. 

That will be a coveted collectible one day. Buy it, hang on to it for 10 years, it'll be worth a pretty penny

*Your mileage will vary, profits not guaranteed

I have a few of those still, including a Canibal quad I'm about to list for sale...all of mine are very low hours...except for 1 of the 2 ATKs I own. I am still a fan of the idea behind their vision, but... I may have to agree with the previous post that suggests buying one as a "toy/novelty" bike..not the main riding bike in your collection. 'Dales are an acquired taste, and once you get the quirks sorted they aren't terrible. Cranks weren't a problem until 2003 model year, and it was a limited issue that had more to do with a supplier (so I was told). Alot of guys would also re map the ECMs to change rev limits, and power delivery. ATK fixed issues prior to selling their bikes. Parts are still available at Black Widow in NE. If you are good with mechanicals, it's not impossible to enjoy one. Just my .02 worth. By the way, my supermoto bike was easily competitive with similar KTMs,Hondas, and Yamahas in 2006-2008 when I was using it for some promo events trying to spurn more interest in supermoto in the mid Atlantic. I don't know why supermoto died off so bad...it seems to be more popular in the EU still ...I'm sure there are  many opinions...  

I have a few of them.  When sorted correctly, they are dependable bikes. They need a considerable amount of updates to be sorted.  The crank needs to be split and balanced. A new Suzuki z400 big bearing needs to be installed. One of the valve bucket bores needs to be reamed to prevent the sticky valve bucket issue. Cannondale stamped a number on the head after machining the bucket bore. After a while, the bore tightens with age due to the stamping. Later heads were engraved instead of stamping which helped reduce and/or eliminate the issue.  The fuel tank quick disconnects were an issue.  Most people just gutted them to eliminate the issues.  The magnesium valve cover probably needs to be replaced with an aluminum one due to corrosion. I would offer $1000-$1500. Put $1000 in updates and have a great bike. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:52 PM, YHGEORGE said:

Cannondale was probably the worst bike ever made. It hasn't improved while sitting in that guy's garage. RUN away!

by worst bike ever, Im almost certain he means most unreliable. they had heaps of issues.

I still have two 02' E440's , one I sorted out and raced for a season, kept melting water pump impellers , was fast and handled decent but frame got extremely hot, the oil ran from one side to the other and then back through the motor.       

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 12:06 PM, jamracing said:

That will be a coveted collectible one day. Buy it, hang on to it for 10 years, it'll be worth a pretty penny

*Your mileage will vary, profits not guaranteed
God, I pray you're right brother ! I'm sitting on 2 ATKs (SMs), and 4 'Dales plus a clean, stock low hrs 02 Cannibal … all for sale, to a GOOD home...