Is the Rally worth it?

I actually bought a 2014 demo unit from a local dealer last Thursday night.  Took it home...  Once the sun came up Friday I noticed that it looked like it fell off a truck and hit on the peg!  Pushed the frame in at that location.  Dealer said they had another in EXCELLENT condition and would comp me a couple hundred in credit in accessories for my troubles.  Once I looked at it... This one was wrecked!  LOL...  It had been upside down, plastics all scraped up, cables bent, bar ends scraped up.  I wouldn't be that upset but they were asking a premium for these bikes.  $4200...  Plus I would be paying a used interest rate.  

So, this has me looking (at another dealer obviously)  They have me at a little over $6200 OTD, and I have qualified for a good apr from my bank.  I don't want to have a "bigger" payment for basically the same bike is where I am coming from.  I am the type of person to do the basic upgrades that everyone does (I have actually already ordered a pipe, ejk, 13t sprocket, 12 o'clock mph adjuster thingy for the demo...) and that's really it.  Not a major upgrade type of person, usually happy with a stockish bike.  I like that it sits a little higher, I like the styling, I am about 6' tall 240 lbs.  I had a 2014 model that I sold for a down payment on my house, loved it, I want another...  But is it worth the extra $1000?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chucked said:

They have me at a little over $6200 OTD

For the Rally ?  if so then I say yes ... :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

$6200 v $4200 ?  Buy lots of stuff for 2K.  Scratches - no biggie. Dents - something else.

The problem with buying a $4200 beat up demo is I can buy a new 2017 std crf250L for $700 more with a better interest rate.  I found a used one for sale with some goodies on it.  But the guy is waiting on the lien release, plus I think his price is a little high.  I might just have to wait for something else to come along.

Have seen a couple '16s new for well under MSRP, but some of the changes may be worth the premium for a '17.  They are about as inexpensive as a practical street legal bike gets, so while a 17 or even going up to a rally might cost a few hundred more, it might be worth it if you like the features they have.  If a dealer sold me a bike as new/demo, that turned out to have frame damage I would be seriously POed, if they didn't appolagize profusely and make it 100% right, I would shop elsewhere.  Any bike cost a serious amount of money, if you can't trust that it's in good shape, or at least road worthy, then I wouldn't trust them with my safety, and sensitive personal/financial info.

As you have said find a better dealer even if you have to go out of state. There are deals out there and the LRP even the new versions are not in high demand, shop the web.

As far as the rally version... I think it looks hideous and am in no way interested in it...

52 minutes ago, Evan D said:

As far as the rally version... I think it looks hideous and am in no way interested in it...

I tend to agree with you but, for the guys that go with the mini adventure setups I think it is better to work with from the get go. In my mind a true dual sport is intended to run errands around town and/or commute back and forth from work during the week and then be able to hit up the trails for some serious playtime fun including jumping small stuff and hill climbs etc ....  While a guy certainly can travel the world on a 250 I would not want to be that guy ... :lol:   The Afica Twin in a lighter package like a 500cc would be ideal for me personally but, I'm sure I would enjoy the CRF1000L for back woods travel/adventures I just can't see myself taking on any gnarly single track type terrain ... maybe jeep trails etc.  I guess I am just never happy cuz I want to see 400lb 500cc twin in either Rally or Adventure trim .. :thumbsup: 

But, for a true dual sport ... I like what I have now. Plenty of Hooligan power and very capable off road ... :ride:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 3

Gotta get to a dealer soon to check one out (Rally). I am interested in what they have done and the look.

I started out my dually adventure on a 71 CT1 175 Yamaha in 1975.

My last one I sold last year- the one Honda shoulda built: XR 650 Baja racer dually. (except with the button)

Time for a new "putter" as I call it.

Guess I have come full circle.

IMG_0164_zps154db1d5-1.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gnath9 said:

I tend to agree with you but, for the guys that go with the mini adventure setups I think it is better to work with from the get go. In my mind a true dual sport is intended to run errands around town and/or commute back and forth from work during the week and then be able to hit up the trails for some serious playtime fun including jumping small stuff and hill climbs etc ....  While a guy certainly can travel the world on a 250 I would not want to be that guy ... :lol:   The Afica Twin in a lighter package like a 500cc would be ideal for me personally but, I'm sure I would enjoy the CRF1000L for back woods travel/adventures I just can't see myself taking on any gnarly single track type terrain ... maybe jeep trails etc.  I guess I am just never happy cuz I want to see 400lb 500cc twin in either Rally or Adventure trim .. :thumbsup: 

But, for a true dual sport ... I like what I have now. Plenty of Hooligan power and very capable off road ... :ride:

I'm with you on the crf as a clear winner for the dual sport role. Riding in a "trail bike" area earlier in the week with two others. One on a Beta x trainer and the other on a dr650. If I was on a rally I wouldn't be keen to ride in there as there's a good chance of dropping the bike on hills full of baby head sized rocks that are going to have the shiny bodywork of the rally looking decidedly second hand after any fall.

It's early days yet for the rally so it will be interesting to see how they look after their owners drop them a few times.

• Like 1

Further to the rally styling I also can't take it seriously since it is such a sheep in wolves clothing. If it was 400ccs plus then I'd feel differently but as it is no way.

The "Rally" for me is going to be my motorhome bike and grocery getter. I have a rack on the back to tote along with me on my journey's.

I still have a full blown dez-racer for everything else.

Could you make it a viable off road machine? Sure looks that way. Me- I am keeping it stock and using it accordingly.

Even a little 2-up for local jaunts with the wifey.

There are of course much better choices (at a significant hit to the wallet) for a true hardcore dual sport out of the box

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dezracerE said:

There are of course much better choices (at a significant hit to the wallet) for a true hardcore dual sport out of the box

I think you'll love it ... :thumbsup:        

• Like 1

So the dealer called me back and made me a great deal on a plain crf250l that they got in Tuesday.  After I thought about it, and watched a few vids on the Rally, I don't think I would be happy with it.  I really don't think I like the fairings and would just bust them up trail riding, plus it would be a pain washing the mud out from behind them.  I might just get a windshield, upgrade the rear shock and mess with the oil in the forks to get the suspension where I want it to be on par with the Rally in that aspect.... 

I really wish they made a 450.  I would snag one up in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

+1 on the 450, I think there might be another 50 +1's below mine, we all want this bike with a bigger engine.

• Like 2

I know someone who photo shopped their crf450r title to make it look street legal.  Then made it DOT legal, got it inspected, and rides it on the roads.

6 hours ago, chucked said:

So the dealer called me back and made me a great deal on a plain crf250l that they got in Tuesday.  After I thought about it, and watched a few vids on the Rally, I don't think I would be happy with it.  I really don't think I like the fairings and would just bust them up trail riding, plus it would be a pain washing the mud out from behind them.  I might just get a windshield, upgrade the rear shock and mess with the oil in the forks to get the suspension where I want it to be on par with the Rally in that aspect.... 

I really wish they made a 450.  I would snag one up in a heartbeat.

Got to look at a rally in person, and same, just not for me.  I don't mind the lack of a windshield, actually like the simple "dirtbike" look, and function, better for trails IMO, could definitely feel the added weight of the Rally, and that weight was all mounted high.  Now I wouldn't mind a couple of the add-ons of the non-rally '17 model, a tach, little bit more power, and the greater fork travel would be nice.  Still would have likely done the same basic mods though, exhaust/programmer, suspension and handguards, a bit of sound is nice, and does help remind drivers I am there, handguards in the woods around here are practically a requirement.

Think everyone wants a 450ish one, even just going up to the 300 engine and trimming a little weight would go a long way to improve it without increasing cost much.  A larger low maintenence engine, moderate weight, and enough power to actually pass on the highway would go a long way in making the bike even more versatile, and finally give the DRZ some modern competition..

Edited by alucard0822

I sound like a broken record on this but I'll say it again. Once the BMW gs310s hits the showroom floors in Europe, US and Australia it will sell a tonne more than the rally. Honda can put the cbr 300 engine into the rally to fight back if they continue with it. They did the same when the opposition brought out their 300's against the cbr250r road bike.

The mechanic who did my 300r engine swap worked on DR400s and dr650 tour bikes for the cape tours in Nth Qld for years and reckons my crf300 is a hands down better bike than the drz400e.

• Like 4

I didn't mention the Kato as I'm not sure if its going to happen or not. The GS looks like a given...though grasshoppers need to be patient for it to arrive.