Sign in to follow this  

Clutch not disengaging when bike is off and in gear?

I have a 1998 GasGas EC300 which was rebuilt and has a new engine, also a hydraulic clutch was installed. The clutch works as a clutch should, nice and smooth, it's a new clutch. The only problem is when the bike is not running and turned off, when I put the bike in gear and pull in the clutch lever, the bike acts like it's still in gear, the clutch doesn't disengage to let the bike move, I have to put it in neutral. When the bike is running, the clutch works. Why does it do this only when the bike is off?

Thanks

The GG clutches tend to do that.  You can try to bleed the clutch hydraulic as it may have some air in the system.   Be sure to use the proper fluid per the cap on the master cover.  It is probably DOT 4 but you need to make sure as it could have been replaced with a newer version.

assuming the slave cylinder is working as it should.....

a lot of gasgas and ktm's etc do it too. apparently cleaning the clutch plates stops this happening and changing the oil can help too

I have a 1998 GasGas EC300 which was rebuilt and has a new engine, also a hydraulic clutch was installed. The clutch works as a clutch should, nice and smooth, it's a new clutch. The only problem is when the bike is not running and turned off, when I put the bike in gear and pull in the clutch lever, the bike acts like it's still in gear, the clutch doesn't disengage to let the bike move, I have to put it in neutral. When the bike is running, the clutch works. Why does it do this only when the bike is off?

Thanks

It's normal for allot of bikes. Mine mostly do the same, when it's running though, a quarter inch pull with a finger fully engages it. I wouldn't worry.

So you are seeking a solution for a non-problem that could possibly create a problem for a bike that is working just fine?

If the clutch works fine when the engine is running then LEAVE IT ALONE!  

If you are pushing the bike around with the engine stopped then put the thing in neutral.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

So you are seeking a solution for a non-problem that could possibly create a problem for a bike that is working just fine?

If the clutch works fine when the engine is running then LEAVE IT ALONE!  

If you are pushing the bike around with the engine stopped then put the thing in neutral.  Problem solved.

This is also the least cost solution!