2017 500exc-f, is mine "50 states" or "49 states" setup from dealer?

Hey guys. Loving the new 2017 500 EXC-F. I am happy with it the way it is, but was wondering if these bikes (mine was purchased in Florida) come with California emissions garbage on them in every state or only if they are sold in California?

also, stupid question, but since the bike doesn't have a manual reserve, do you guys just tip the bike over to the left to get the last bit of fuel out of the right side of the tank if you run low?

Yes, your bike is a 50 state bike so it has all the emissions crap that California requires.  First tool you'll need to get is a TPS tool if you plan to block some of that stuff off.  Lots of good threads about desmog on these bikes, but if you love it the way it is, I wouldn't do much more than adjust the TPS as they come very lean from the factory.

No reserve but it does have a fuel light.  Off road you'll get most of the gas over there by splashing, on road you would have to tip it over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bldmtnrider said:

Yes, your bike is a 50 state bike so it has all the emissions crap that California requires.  First tool you'll need to get is a TPS tool if you plan to block some of that stuff off.  Lots of good threads about desmog on these bikes, but if you love it the way it is, I wouldn't do much more than adjust the TPS as they come very lean from the factory.

No reserve but it does have a fuel light.  Off road you'll get most of the gas over there by splashing, on road you would have to tip it over.

Thanks for the info. I've seen the de-smog threads but wasn't sure if it applied. If the emissions stuff is hurting power or fuel economy then I want to ditch it, if not I don't care. How much weight does the stuff add?

Great bike even stock, very powerful.

10 minutes ago, Dwrizzol said:

I think you could get a new petcock that has reserve. That would be more reliable than the method you mentioned above.

I don't think FI 4 strokes have peacocks like Carb'd bikes do.

• Like 2

Just now, tyler90 said:

I don't think FI 4 strokes have peacocks like Carb'd bikes do.

Hmm I didn't know that. My bike is a 2006.  I wonder if it would jigger up the FI if one was added?

33 minutes ago, kayakingsteve said:

Thanks for the info. I've seen the de-smog threads but wasn't sure if it applied. If the emissions stuff is hurting power or fuel economy then I want to ditch it, if not I don't care. How much weight does the stuff add?

Great bike even stock, very powerful.

do :TPS adjust , ECU reboot, 52 rear sprocket and drop all the smoggy crap for power almost equal to a 300XCW on bottom and mid. my total weight reduction is 6.1 lbs

only street part is the plate.

Hmm I didn't know that. My bike is a 2006.  I wonder if it would jigger up the FI if one was added?

Petcocks have no place on fuel injected bikes from what I can see.  The fuel line is pressurized to about 80 PSI all along the fuel line..including the portion of the line that is in the tank.

Its a totally different approach to fuel delivery...gravity plays no part.

1 hour ago, Airboss/oc said:

do :TPS adjust , ECU reboot, 52 rear sprocket and drop all the smoggy crap for power almost equal to a 300XCW on bottom and mid. my total weight reduction is 6.1 lbs

only street part is the plate.

Sounds like my local dealer doesn't know anything about remapping the ECU, but I'm guessing that means they will do it because they probably have no reason to say no once they talk to KTM home base.... Is there any practical gain in fuel economy or HP anyone has measured after doing this? I'd be curious to see dyno #'s  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, brute448 said:

lil drop in fuel economy, but worth it to have a motor that's not running lean all the time

Well, my hope that the dealer would just go along with unlocking the ECU was poorly founded. They won't do it. If I want to de-smog this thing without throwing error codes I'd have to find a third party to unlock it. 

What about an aftermarket control module? Could someone run one of those, like a Power Commander to do the same thing?

1 hour ago, kayakingsteve said:

What about an aftermarket control module? Could someone run one of those, like a Power Commander to do the same thing?

yes , but  the jd is significantly cheaper 

you can desmog, you just cant electrically disconnect the evap solenoid, without optional map.

you can also mail your ecu to a place who will remap it.

1 minute ago, Spud786 said:

yes , but  the jd is significantly cheaper 

you can desmog, you just cant electrically disconnect the evap solenoid, without optional map.

you can also mail your ecu to a place who will remap it.

Sounds like this has all been covered. I'm getting enough power out of the bike right now. I may just leave it stock for now and save this battle for another day. I don't mind it running a bit lean, it already has enough power to get me in plenty of trouble on road and off. Would be good to know who to send the ECU to just in case; do they unlock it and do the whole 9 yards for you?

I think we all just love this bike so much that we can't resist the urge to touch it, fondle it and do things to it even when we aren't riding it. :)

Dealers cant legally remap a 17, you can get a euro ecu from blias racing that will richen it up. Remapping with the euro map has made a HUGE difference on my 14 450 XCW, no lean pop on decel, no more flameouts on crawling sections, its almost like a different bike (for the better!) Bliasracing.com sells the desmog kits for your bike

5 hours ago, kayakingsteve said:

Sounds like my local dealer doesn't know anything about remapping the ECU, but I'm guessing that means they will do it because they probably have no reason to say no once they talk to KTM home base.... Is there any practical gain in fuel economy or HP anyone has measured after doing this? I'd be curious to see dyno #'s  

removing noise screens, and fixing the fueling, expect about 3 horse gain, on an exc. regaining what they lost from the xcw bikes.

as an example,  my 500 with stock 15/45 gearing had to be clutched up in 3 rd, could not power wheelie till power corrected.

about a 5 mile loss (pertank) for that gain

The 17's are even more choked and leaner, course they geared the bike down(stock) so it wasn't as noticable

Edited by Spud786

Just be careful what you do for the first 6 months.  The warranty on the EXC's is 6 months and if you monkey around with a remap or removing the smog stuff they can (and probably will) void your warranty.  I left my smog stuff intact so it all looks legit but plugged it up to make it inoperable.  There are lots of differing way to accomplish that on the net. 

That said, the differences mentioned make the bike run more efficiently and as a side bonus it runs cooler. 

3 hours ago, KennyMc said:

You don't get a new ECU, yours is remapped.

Blais Racing

1 minute ago, Airboss/oc said:

Blais Racing

Correct, you don't get a new ECU.....