Thinking of buying a suspension set instead of the typical valve job. I think I'll end up saving money over the long run that way. 

Is ohlins decent enough for off-road/technical riding being a cc fork?

Can someone explain the internals/materials to me? I really don't know much about suspension or even what components would be considered desireable etc..

Is it true that not many people can service or tune these forks? 

Does the shock work good?

http://m.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Suspension,21/Ohlins/TTX-Flow-Shock-and-RXF-48-Fork,14473

I think this thread might be out dated but I'll post it anyway..

Edited by Casing-daily

Might want to post what bike as some bikes benefit more then others with aftermarket suspensions. I am running a TTX inserts/Flow shock, while it's too early to tell (3hrs) I think it's better then my last revalved set-up or at least on par. Still fine tuning.

If you have the initial money it's a no brainer, when you have finished you can resell them for very good money. I really like the ohlins feel, they are quality. Can be a bit of setting up involved as one click on ohlins feels like 2 or 3 on stock stuff. Unless you have ridden akit you won't regret it imo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rotaholic said:

If you have the initial money it's a no brainer, when you have finished you can resell them for very good money. I really like the ohlins feel, they are quality. Can be a bit of setting up involved as one click on ohlins feels like 2 or 3 on stock stuff. Unless you have ridden akit you won't regret it imo

I don't think putting Ohlins on a Yamaha will be worth the expense. Ohlins on a WP/Sach equipped bike is worth it. One benefit with complete aftermarket forks or "A" kits is the coatings. DLC helps with stiction and was noticeable with my bike. Hard anodizing helps with wear as well as reducing friction for smoother performance. Between the inserts and coatings I have saved $1200 then buying a complete Ohlins fork. End result should be about the same and I retained OEM correct wheel/axle/spacers.

Ohlins need different tools to service and many shops are not willing to invest. Other then this tuners should be knowledgeable to service. My forks are firm, not harsh and do well in the rocks and roots. OC have a bit more plushness at crawling speeds but add more speed and they become very plush where as the OC starts becoming harsh, blowing thru the stroke.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

I just suggested ohlins as a better ROI, any money you put into stock suspension is dead money, you can't sell your bike for any more because it has been revalved. You can however unbolt your ohlins or akit and still get great money for them. In saying that modern suspension is very good and you would probably get more benefit spending the money on rider coaching.

• Like 1

Every skill level will benefit on $$ spent on suspension. More skill you have, more you will notice the $$ you spent. Now the very beginner doesn't need an "A" kit but it defiantly doesn't hurt,,,,, except the pocketbook. Coaching is another tool to have in the garage. Better the tools for the job, the easier the job is!

Who are you buying the ohlins from in the us? Do they try to valve for your weight/class when you buy them or is the range of adjustment wide enough that they all get the same valving? 

It's true that sinking time and money into stock suspension is a loss when you decide to sell. 

It takes me a while to get set up to my liking so it would be nice to bring a set of forks that I'm comfortable with to new bikes. 

Edited by Casing-daily

I would find TT member tye1138, he did the whole Ohlins set up and loved it...at first.

But over time it just got worse and worse and worse and he was quite disappointed with the product. But that's his opinion not mine. In this day, spending the time 'knowing' what the problem is and fixing it with the tools you have will be more valuable than simply bolting a new product on and hoping it works. Even the best stuff can feel like junk if the sag is off, tires are flat, bike isn't balanced etc etc... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Monk said:

I would find TT member tye1138, he did the whole Ohlins set up and loved it...at first.

But over time it just got worse and worse and worse and he was quite disappointed with the product. But that's his opinion not mine. In this day, spending the time 'knowing' what the problem is and fixing it with the tools you have will be more valuable than simply bolting a new product on and hoping it works. Even the best stuff can feel like junk if the sag is off, tires are flat, bike isn't balanced etc etc... 

Ya I posted that thread initially, the dude sounds knowledgable for sure. 

I just wasn't sure if that was an old model or not because that thread was from 2015.

I thought they came out with new ttx stuff in 2016? Have ohlins changed anything internally since then or its all pretty much the same?

Im not hung up on ohlins but like the extra set of suspension idea...

17 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

Who are you buying the ohlins from in the us? Do they try to valve for your weight/class when you buy them or is the range of adjustment wide enough that they all get the same valving?  

It's true that sinking time and money into stock suspension is a loss when you decide to sell. 

It takes me a while to get set up to my liking so it would be nice to bring a set of forks that I'm comfortable with to new bikes. 

I bought from Coppersmith here in Ohio, USA. Tom Smith revalved both ends to my riding terrain and experience. He will revalve until I'm happy. This is something other places don't do or cost extra after the sale. He's local and very knowledgeable so he will be doing all the maintenance. My quest for updated suspension came from my WP shock not working right, or at least as I wanted. Sure I could have revalved again, again but my riding time doesn't permit doing that. I wanted a Fox shock but Fox doesn't make one for my bike. Trax shock has maintenance issues and 1/2 of the owners disengage the "Trax" rebound circuit. So far happy with the performance.

16 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

Ya I posted that thread initially, the dude sounds knowledgable for sure. 

I just wasn't sure if that was an old model or not because that thread was from 2015.

I thought they came out with new ttx stuff in 2016? Have ohlins changed anything internally since then or its all pretty much the same?

Im not hung up on ohlins but like the extra set of suspension idea...

Not sure when Ohlins revised the forks but older models did have some issues. FLow shock is new as it only has one adjustment for compression vs. 2 +CSC (Ohlins). Olhins believes that one compression is easier for the fluid to pass resulting is a quicker rebound similar to the Trax and Fox shocks. I haven't had a chance to ride faster trails (soooo dam wet) however the WP weird kick over logs is gone!

Other forks cartridges to look into are the Del Soggio Spheres. Find a second set of forks for a complete fork or just use your stockers keeping the internals for when you sell.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, weantright said:

I bought from Coppersmith here in Ohio, USA. Tom Smith revalved both ends to my riding terrain and experience. He will revalve until I'm happy. This is something other places don't do or cost extra after the sale. He's local and very knowledgeable so he will be doing all the maintenance. My quest for updated suspension came from my WP shock not working right, or at least as I wanted. Sure I could have revalved again, again but my riding time doesn't permit doing that. I wanted a Fox shock but Fox doesn't make one for my bike. Trax shock has maintenance issues and 1/2 of the owners disengage the "Trax" rebound circuit. So far happy with the performance.

Not sure when Ohlins revised the forks but older models did have some issues. FLow shock is new as it only has one adjustment for compression vs. 2 +CSC (Ohlins). Olhins believes that one compression is easier for the fluid to pass resulting is a quicker rebound similar to the Trax and Fox shocks. I haven't had a chance to ride faster trails (soooo dam wet) however the WP weird kick over logs is gone!

Other forks cartridges to look into are the Del Soggio Spheres. Find a second set of forks for a complete fork or just use your stockers keeping the internals for when you sell.

Oh ya, my Dal Soggio Spheres are minty! 

Was going to go with them but didn't have any knowledge base local. Sure they are a WP CC type of design but the learning curve was still there. I didn't want to spend the time at a tuner especially if he wasn't active in selling them. It was hard enough to get a price other then going thru the importer. The importer was extremely high with parts and service,,,, or just what I am accustom to.

17 minutes ago, weantright said:

Was going to go with them but didn't have any knowledge base local. Sure they are a WP CC type of design but the learning curve was still there. I didn't want to spend the time at a tuner especially if he wasn't active in selling them. It was hard enough to get a price other then going thru the importer. The importer was extremely high with parts and service,,,, or just what I am accustom to.

Looks like they came out with a revised fork and new shock last year in 2016. When did you buy them? I'm curious if they have improved reliability of the forks in comparison to previous models. 

"Built from the success of the previous front fork and further improved the 48 mm front fork. Improvements for 2016 includes a new improved cartridge kit inside. This new cartridge kit has an overall better main piston performance due to new springs fitted. An improved and better seal means less fading when riding, so Ohlins changed the top-out rubber to minimize the risk for top-out noise. One big improvement is the redesigned check valve unit which makes the fork stay up in stroke without feeling too hard. this further improves the overall performance of the new front fork."

https://www.ohlins.com/product/rxf-48-racing-front-fork/

1 hour ago, weantright said:

On the Dal Soggio? Strangely I haven't touched them with any internal valving... A clicker or two in either direction has produced good results. I haven't even touched the rebound, just compression... No fiddling with oil, nothing... I have the PC linkage coming for my 350 as well as a heavier spring rate, the rear needs the attention just as bad as my 4cs forks did... 

2 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

Looks like they came out with a revised fork and new shock last year in 2016. When did you buy them? I'm curious if they have improved reliability of the forks in comparison to previous models. 

"Built from the success of the previous front fork and further improved the 48 mm front fork. Improvements for 2016 includes a new improved cartridge kit inside. This new cartridge kit has an overall better main piston performance due to new springs fitted. An improved and better seal means less fading when riding, so Ohlins changed the top-out rubber to minimize the risk for top-out noise. One big improvement is the redesigned check valve unit which makes the fork stay up in stroke without feeling too hard. this further improves the overall performance of the new front fork."

https://www.ohlins.com/product/rxf-48-racing-front-fork/

Bought them about a month ago. 3hrs. old

1 hour ago, Monk said:

On the Dal Soggio? Strangely I haven't touched them with any internal valving. .. A clicker or two in either direction has produced good results. I haven't even touched the rebound, just compression... No fiddling with oil, nothing... I have the PC linkage coming for my 350 as well as a heavier spring rate , the rear needs the attention just as bad as my 4cs forks did... 

I have heard mix reviews, some riders liked them in stock form, others needed a shim shuffle and or fluid level/wt. change. So I wanted a tuner to know these and with the $$ of them they should come ready for me and my terrain. No different then WP CV, they come "valved for you" but in reality you still need some changes unless you're a top rider which I'm not. We will be upgrading the boy's bike next year and most likely have a set of Dal Soggio or Ohlins cartridge (if they show greatness).