Whats your favorite Trail Dirt Bike

@wielywilly-g

wouldnt it be easier to start with a kx450 and trail mod it? Only because you said WITH 2k in mods.Especially since a kx450 is quite a bit cheaper on the used market, at least where I live(like literally half the price). Seems like a lot of work either way then lol. Props to you for not being a Ktm sheep though, even though they are dam good

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RawbW said:

@wielywilly-g

wouldnt it be easier to start with a kx450 and trail mod it? Only because you said WITH 2k in mods.Especially since a kx450 is quite a bit cheaper on the used market, at least where I live(like literally half the price). Seems like a lot of work either way then lol. Props to you for not being a Ktm sheep though, even though they are dam good

I would guess most can mod a KX450 cheaper, but I wanted e-start so no KX450 for me.  I first tried to buy a Yamaha WR450.  The dealer couldn't get it started so I went looking for a Honda CRF450X, while shopping for it I came across the new 08 KLX450R and pretty much invested in it.

My mod list, actually $2800.

Full FMF Exhaust 500

TM designs slide and Guide 140

JD Jet kit 80

Works Connection Bash Guard 235

Fastway pegs 140

Fastway handguards 160

Highline Tugger Straps 55

Tusk Oversized Rotor 120

Oversize Radiators 90

Boyben Waterpump 180

Zeta Shorty Levers 100

Works Connection R M/C Guard 35

TM Designs R rotor Guard 80

Twin Air Filter 30

RnD Flex Jet 35

Shorai Bat and Charger 225

Race Tech Fork Springs 110

Race Tech shock spring 110

Gas tank heat shield 30

TM Designs R Caliper Guard 45

Kibble White SS Intake Valves 300

TOTAL 2800

Later I found a used KLX450R all tricked out with fancy hubs, rims, and graphic for $3500 so I snathched it up for a backup.

Not for dirt, but I got a 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R a couple years ago. It is ok, but not what I expected from KTM.  Tranny is junk. That makes me very hesitant to getting a KTM dirt bike.

Edited by wielywilly-g

Trail bike?

Right off showroom floor... Or modded??

Tight trail?? Lots of hills??

Low maintenance?

Riding for the fun of it ??

Need more info....

• Like 1

They have quit making some of the best easy to ride trail bikes ever. The Kawasaki KX 200-220, KTM 200xc and Honda XR 250-400 where some of the very best trail bikes made and where a joy to ride. If your just riding trails for fun the Yamaha yz250fx or wr250, Honda 250x or KTM 250xcf or 250xc would be good bikes. If your racing hare scrambles Yamaha yz450fx or KTM 300xc or 350xcf would be great. If Yamaha would come out with a yz350fx it would be the ultimate fun/race woods bike. 

• Like 2

@wielywilly-g

some of that would've been done on a kx anyway so you'd be looking  at some of the same purchases. In CA the klx will give you a green sticker whereas the kx will be red, which may be worth it depending on location. You could've gone to another dealer for a wr too. Kawi's and suzukis don't seem to sell much around here, my riding area is crammed full of Yamaha, Honda, and Ktm mostly. It's good to see different. I can't tell if ktms have gotten worse or people have a hard on for photoshopping broken frames, or other things

for the OPs question we need more info on his requirements

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RawbW said:

...for the OPs question we need more info on his requirements

For sure on the more info.. 

My buddy hates the power of a 450, he got a KTM Freeride 250 2T.

For his wife the perfect trail bike was CRF230.

For my neice the perfect trail bike was the XR100.

I ride with many people on KTM 2T 200, 250, and 300's.

I couple friends swear by the CRF250X.

A couple on WR450's that quit riding dirt..

No one I know riding the CRF450X.

I met a guy riding Beta 300RR a few weeks ago.  He seems really fond of it and is a good match for me on the trails.

There is a crazy white haired guy that rocks a Husquvarna TX300 who shows up every now and then.

So many choices!

I will say this, I have 4 hard-headed friends that insist on riding full MX 450's on trails with us, even the high MX gearing.  We always end up waiting on them because they have overheated or stalled and tring to kick life into it.  I am not saying it is like that for everyone that trail rides an MX bike, but these 4 could use a more trail-ish bike so our rides flow better.

• Like 3

I own several bikes... 

I have to say that , while 450s are awesome for adrenaline... They are NOT an advantage in the woods...

There really isn't any place where you can WFO a few gears at a time to make use of 450 power...

And in a lot of technical areas, the 450s can just be too abrupt in power delivery...

I love them for the beasts they are... But I am rarely flogging the hell out of a 250-300 in the woods ...and thinking the only thing holding me back is I'm not on my 450...

More often I find myself thinking how much I could use more finesse and control than I have on a 450

• Like 1

well, since the OP asked what was OUR personal favorite trail bikes il say mine;

for me it would be a 250/300 two stroke, either a factory trail one with wide ratio trans or mx conversion to trails

i do have a rmz450 i bought because it was cheap/clean/ ready to go. however when im on it i seem to just be wishing i was back on the 250 2t. maybe that will change if i get around to doing the suspension from its rock hard state, as i think it was sprung even stiffer than stock for previous owner. basically no suspension with me on it so that may be too unfair to the 450. i have ridden setup exc450s and those were good 

• Like 1

image_zpsv9oxf866.jpeg

Yeah .. here is a good trail Bike , I have done most motor mods to it . Big bore with a wild cam , ported , vortex CDI . Full TRC ti system and so on and so forth . Anyway , came to the conclusion that is was too much to deal with , waaay to much Snap . Put it mostly back to stock and found it is the perfect trail bike . Compliant suspension , mid level gearing , decent seat and fuel Range add Scotts damper and a GPS .

4 hours ago, NEKOOHC said:

Yeah .. here is a good trail Bike , I have done most motor mods to it . Big bore with a wild cam , ported , vortex CDI . Full TRC ti system and so on and so forth . Anyway , came to the conclusion that is was too much to deal with , waaay to much Snap . Put it mostly back to stock and found it is the perfect trail bike . Compliant suspension , mid level gearing , decent seat and fuel Range add Scotts damper and a GPS .

What model is that?

Here's mine; '07 CRF450, 13/50 gears, Scots under bar, Boysen Super cooler w/p, oversize rads, Rekluse core 3.0, full FMF TI mega bomb/ powercore, oversize tank. G2 throttle tamer. Awesome woods bike.

450.JPG

Edited by drumiv
  • Like 1