Sign in to follow this  

Help

Have a pit bike, needed a new carb so I ordered one and put it on. Started up fine. Let it warm up. Rode it for maybe 10 minutes. Then once when I went to give it gas it bogged and died. So after that I kicked it back over and it idles fine but whenever I give it gas it bogs and dies instantly. When I give it gas very very slowly the idle gets higher. But whenever given normal throttle it dies. Any ideas what's going on? Already tried new plug.

The first things that come mind are a vacuum leak at the carb to manifold, or a problem with the main jet circuit. 

I've purchased a few cheapie  carbs for pit bikes and scooters. I always take them at least partially apart to inspect them. I squirt some carb clean or compressed air through all the ports, including the small air jets at the front of the carb. I have found little bits of metal mold flashing and machining shavings in new out of the box cheap carbs. I've also heard of jets not being screwed in tightly, but haven't seen that personally. Other cheapies that I've bought were perfect.

Since it starts easily the float level and pilot jet are probably ok. The valve clearance is probably OK too, but it's always worth double checking.

• Like 1