Best beginner road legal dirt bike?

Hi all, as you can see i am new to the forum so first and foremost i'd like to say hello! Anyway, i am 17 soon and i am planning on purchasing a dirt/pit bike and making it road legal to travel to and from college. I often ride pit bikes and i really enjoy them so i thought why not. I have looked at a WPB 140 RACE which i was planning on registering as a 125 however i cannot find road legal tyres for it anywhere and feel like it would just be a general pain in the arse to get everything sorted out. Could anyone recommend a decent beginner bike? Cheers

What you can find will depend on your budget. Since you were looking at pit bikes i would imagine your probably trying to find something less expensive. 

I would look for something in the 125 to 250 size.

An older honda xl185 or 250, yamaha xt225 or xt250, suzuki sp125,sp200 or dr200. If you have a bigger budget a crf230l or klx250.

You could even find some nice bikes from the 70s to like the yamaha DT series or an suzuki ts. 

You have lots of options. 

Depends where you live, some regions/states allow dirt bikes on the road with very little requirements,

others regions, if it's not road legal in stock form, you're out of luck.

Edited by mlatour

The Beta would be great other than the price. I understand Yamaha has sold a bike there for a number of years with that same Minarelli engine? Maybe those would fit your needs.

2 hours ago, nobade said:

The Beta would be great other than the price. I understand Yamaha has sold a bike there for a number of years with that same Minarelli engine? Maybe those would fit your needs.

God knows mate, don't really know all the engines and that I just know the part names and how to ride one haha

• Like 1