Tell me why I should buy an XR650l

Hi,

My name is Scott. I'm currently looking for a DS bike. I've been looking at all the videos for DRs, XRs and KLRs and my head is spinning. 

So, as a group of gurus and aficionados of XRs, tell me why it makes a good bike to ride and explore with. Basically, why did you choose this bike, and what are the advantages and disadvantages to your bike?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Scott 

Hmmm, I dunno? My past history has been very satisfied with the Honda, for ride/repair ratio and not getting stranded. Still have my dad's 1971 SL350 that runs great!  My buddy used to ride Yamaha and had a shirt that said, "I'd rather eat worms than ride a Honda" Hahahaha Now he rides a Honda! Some people like Fords, some Dodges, some Chevys. You pick.

• Like 1

All I ride Is honda. Reliability is the biggest plus.in my opinion the best duel sport bike out there.klr's are too heavy. Never been a fan of the dr's.get a xrl you won't regret it. 20170412_161915.jpeg

• Like 1

I rode several KLR 650s and just didn't like them.  The power was weak and the handling didn't seem all that great.  It only took a couple of minutes test riding my XR650L for me to want to buy it - at full asking price.  The engine actually generates a bit of excitement for me, unlike every single KLR that I've ever ridden.  I have to admit that the KLR is a better street bike than the XR, after putting over 300 miles on one on the big island of Hawaii.  However, the 20 miles or so of dirt that I rode on that bike was not great.  The bike just felt clumsy.

If you'll be riding in the dirt, the XR is a better bike.  I like mine on twisty roads too, but you have to keep in mind that with nearly a foot of suspension travel front and rear, you have to be careful doing hard braking and you need to get the bike settled before committing to a turn at any kind of serious speed.  But I have a lot of fun on mine and often prefer it on tight twisty roads over my KTM.

I can't say much about the Suzuki DR650, since I've never ridden one.  However, I've spoken to several owners who indicated that they needed to make major suspension changes to get theirs to work well in the dirt.

If you're willing to spend more money, the KTM 690 Enduro R is way better than any of the other bikes that I've mentioned.

There.  You now have my opinion on the subject.

12 hours ago, BillsXr said:

The question is why shouldn't you buy an xr650l?

And how is that answer helpful?  Really.  Give some actual reasons of why it is better than the alternatives.

The xr650l is a low maintenance bike with plenty of reviews. There a good bike hence no change since 1993. Sorry Scott I don't want to play into your drama. 

• Like 1

About as low maintenance as it gets, a ton of suspension travel, light for its size (important off road), not water cooled (no radiator issues) easy to mod and cheap as well, parts galore, I could go on and on. Sure, its no race bike, but thats not what you're looking for, right?

• Like 1

For all the reasons mentioned as well as the hours and hours of research i have done the past couple of months.  I haven't had a bike for about 10 years and have recently gotten the itch to get into dual sport/adventure riding.  I actually was considering KLR or DR even though i always had Honda's when younger.  Did note even consider an XRL but was maybe going to try and find a nice XRR.  After doing the research and reading a lot on these forums, decided the e-start and reliablity of the L was the way to go for me.  Put a deposit on a very low mile totally stock 2012 last weekend which i will pick in a week or two (8 hour drive to go get it).  The mod parts i have already ordered will arrive ahead of the bike is how excited I am to get it!  So i cannot comment from the standpoint of having owned one yet, but with all the information available out there I am confident i will be very happy. 

• Like 1

It is only 7 lbs more than the Husqvarna 701/KTM 690, and over $5,000 cheaper.  Funny how magazines act like the XRL is some big pig old school bike, and the Husqvarna 701 Enduro is so awesome, and then it turns out the XRL is only 7 lbs heavier!  And the XRL has 2" more suspension travel on each end.  Ok, the air cooled motor in stock EPA clean running trim is kind of weak, but very easy to tweak an XRL to run well.  

For the XRL vs DR vs KLR, that order matches the dirt/street capabilities.  XRL best for dirt, KLR best for street, DR in the middle.  

Another plus on the XRL is there are TONS of aftermarket stuff for them to help you turn it into whatever you want it to be.  

4 hours ago, ToddFather said:

For all the reasons mentioned as well as the hours and hours of research i have done the past couple of months.  I haven't had a bike for about 10 years and have recently gotten the itch to get into dual sport/adventure riding.  I actually was considering KLR or DR even though i always had Honda 's when younger.  Did note even consider an XRL but was maybe going to try and find a nice XRR.  After doing the research and reading a lot on these forums, decided the e-start and reliablity of the L was the way to go for me.  Put a deposit on a very low mile totally stock 2012 last weekend which i will pick in a week or two (8 hour drive to go get it).  The mod parts i have already ordered will arrive ahead of the bike is how excited I am to get it!  So i cannot comment from the standpoint of having owned one yet, but with all the information available out there I am confident i will be very happy. 

Congratulations! Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

I am a total Noob. However, I will tell you what I turned up in my own research. With my budget, the only two other contenders were the KLR and DR. I knew I really wanted to get off road and figured that the XR I was going to be a lot better than the KLR for this purpose. As far as the DR was concerned, there were reports of significant problems with the gear box. I suppose these are debatable, but I felt they were valid concerns. Every bike has its problems. The XR, has problems with its countershaft, and CDI, among other things. But I didn't feel the problems were deal breakers. So, I went with the XR. The bike continues to be a little bit tall for me, and difficult at times to manage. In the end though, I'm real happy with the bike and riding the shite out of it.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm currently considering an 01 with 11,750 and a ton of extras. Owner is asking 2800. Does this sound ok? Is the mileage too high? I haven't been able to see the bike yet as I live in Maine and the bike is in New Hampshire. 

36 minutes ago, t4rscott said:

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm currently considering an 01 with 11,750 and a ton of extras. Owner is asking 2800. Does this sound ok? Is the mileage too high? I haven't been able to see the bike yet as I live in Maine and the bike is in New Hampshire. 

With the extras, that might be a good price.  I bought my 2001 at the end of 2008 for $2500 and it already had a 4.7 gallon Clarke tank, Cycra guards and a few other little things.  I can't remember exactly, but mileage was under 6000.  But the really good deals like that are rare.  I don't consider the mileage to be high.

What I was looking at was a bike my size my 01 xrl is lowered bought it used with trail mods . bought a brand new xrl in" 15 "no miles made it mine with the mods I wanted. 5196 on the new one 28043 on one rebuild with 01.old honda street bikes .atc . rancher mower wife's van .log splitter .so on
Honda

I heard xr650l engines need rebuilding around 15k. Is that true, or is it dependent on how the PO cared for it?

2 hours ago, t4rscott said:

I heard xr650l engines need rebuilding around 15k. Is that true, or is it dependent on how the PO cared for it?

Depends on use and definitely how it was cared for,,,dirty air filters and not watching oil levels kill them

B

5 hours ago, t4rscott said:

Well, mine did, but that's because I ran it out of oil.  I'm certain I'll go much further than that on the current engine.

7 hours ago, ScottRNelson said:

Well, mine did, but that's because I ran it out of oil.  I'm certain I'll go much further than that on the current engine.