Sign in to follow this  

04 crf50 hesitates at half throttle

I just cleaned the carb on my 50, and actually got it to idle finally. Bike runs fine at full throttle and doesn't bog, but when I'm cruising with the throttle halfway open twisting it back and forth it wants to sputter for a second and cut out. I also just messed around with the air screw and idle screw and I'm not sure if I messed something up. It also likes to cut out when I'm doing a wheelie sometimes too. Thanks for the help

Honestly I gave it a real quick clean cuz I ran out of carb cleaner. It did help in the fact that the bike now idles for the first time in 4 years. It did run before though and didn't bog and sputter at half throttle position. Now it does and what I've done is half-ass clean the carb, mess around with idle screw and air screw.

The pilot jets on these carbs are Notorious for causing problems when they become blocked. The pilot jet is press fit but can usually be removed using vice grips. I would definitely make sure yours is not blocked. I recently cleared one on my '08 and now it runs like new. There is a great step-by-step tutorial on this forum. A quick search should easily find it.