Sign in to follow this  

Any advice on transporting dirt bike?? Newbie here!

Hi all!

I'm new to riding dirt bikes. I just bought a Kawasaki 250 two stroke. I have a pretty tall lifted 3/4 ton pickup, so it's no small feat to get that thing in and out of the bed. I bought a motorcycle carrier that attaches to the receiver. I was quite displeased with it. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Get a small trailer with a low height...and a ramp.  Makes it easy when you're tired out from the ride.  I paid 400 bucks for mine.

image.jpg

Get a small trailer with a low height...and a ramp.  Makes it easy when you're tired out from the ride.  I paid 400 bucks for mine.
image.jpg.34668f2f9101897e70cbe3bf09bdd8ba.jpg

Yeah I probably will do that. This may be a dumb question, but do you need to register a trailer that small? I pull a 20' gooseneck and of course have it registered with its own plates.. Not sure about a tiny motorcycle trailer though...

8 minutes ago, Chasewatmatters said:

Yeah I probably will do that. This may be a dumb question, but do you need to register a trailer that small? I pull a 20' gooseneck and of course have it registered with its own plates.. Not sure about a tiny motorcycle trailer though...

Yes, still needs a registration.  

Why were you displeased with the bike carrier? What type is it?

I bought it at cabelas, I believe it is a masterbuilt. I tied down the bike down well but it just didn't feel very secure, the rack would sway back and forth. I kept it at around 30-40mph and babied it over potholes and bumps. I felt like the bike was going to tumble off the rack at any point.

I bought it at cabelas, I believe it is a masterbuilt. I tied down the bike down well but it just didn't feel very secure, the rack would sway back and forth. I kept it at around 30-40mph and babied it over potholes and bumps. I felt like the bike was going to tumble off the rack at any point.

I have the Add-a-bike carrier, and it's awesome. Solid, all aluminum (super light), and no need for straps. http://www.addabike.com/HOME.html

Have seen a few winch setups on bedrail mounts used to winch bike up into tall pickup beds.

Seems like a guy could fab up something similar for way less $ though. You can get a wireless remote controlled winch at HF for cheap too.

Seems like a guy could fab up something similar for way less $ though. You can get a wireless remote controlled winch at HF for cheap too.

A good hitch rail is ~$300 vs. Winch+ramp+wiring +hours of work with the chance of needing to pay someone to fab parts. Lemme know what that adds up to.

I'm cheap so 300 still sounds like way too much, especially for a guy that already has a truck and a ramp and really just needs an easier way to get his bike in/out of the truck bed by himself.

I'm cheap so 300 still sounds like way too much, especially for a guy that already has a truck and a ramp and really just needs an easier way to get his bike in/out of the truck bed by himself.

That's pretty much all it is. I've seen guys drive their bikes up the ramp but I don't feel entirely comfortable with, especially since my bed is so high. But even if I did, I couldn't drive it off?

That's why the winch idea would be good, you might need two ramps, but you can winch it up and down. Do some googling on the subject to find some low cost, homemade solutions.

Longer ramp.  I use an 8ft snowmobile ramp.  Plenty wide enough to ride up, or two people to push a heavy-bike up... and long enough to not be too steep. 

Oh, and it works well for snowmobiles too. 😏

DSC04039_-L.jpg

On 5/3/2017 at 8:09 PM, Chasewatmatters said:

All you need is a little thingy that slides on the carrier up against the hitch receiver and has four bolts that you tighten to stop the wobble. Works great and is inexpensive. Discount Ramps has them and I am sure others do also.

• Like 1