Sign in to follow this  

Need Enduro riding gear head to toe.

I am a Newby, whose experience so far is about 10 days riding with instructors in Ontario, Oregon and Arizona over the last ten years. Just put my money down on a YZ250 X for Ontario woods riding. There are Zero dirt bike retailers in Toronto that have even a hint of riding gear, so it will have to be on line purchases. Really hate doing this with a helmet. I have been looking around at all kinds of gear reviews etc. It is daunting. If I just chose 1 brand and went with their offerings head to toe what would you choose? 

Been looking at Leatt pads and neck braces. Seems pricey, but I get the feeling they are into safety gear. . Leaning towards Sidi Crossfire TA boots or Gaerne SG12's. Seems to be decent prices from Europe for the Sidi.  Not opposed to used gear.  Would like a light Snell approved helmet. I know the Mips tech on my mountain bike helmet makes sense to me, the 6D also seems to get a lot of exposure? They aren't Snell though. Does this even matter?

Anyway, if you have some opinions and want to rant, I'd be happy to hear them.  Tia. 

Where in Onterable are you?

IMO the next 2 things are the most important in order and you really need to try them on at a shop.

Buy the best boots you can afford. I have Tech 10s and for me they fit and are well worth the money.

Buy the best helmet the fits you. You can spend say $200 to $600 then it comes done to features and weight.

Your helmet should rarely hit the ground whre your boots are constantly getting worked.

Then protection. Most of this you could buy on-line but might be better to try on in a shop.

Then pants etc.

I buy stuff on-line from FortNine BUT I'm only buying gear I'm replacing and know for sure how it fits.

I'm in Toronto….the centre of the Universe. I phone around to the Bike shops and they say….yeah we have some boots, don't know what kind. No use bothering even getting in my car, as I know they will be cheap stuff. Even the larger KTM dealer in Oshawa seems to be unable to provide first rate boots and helmets. At Snow City Yamaha, most of the helmets cost $70 or so. I will look into Fort Nine, but for sure the Helmet I really wish I could try on. I get the feeling this business is now dominated by mail order. 

Ya I grew up in Misserysauga but have been in BC since 1993 and feel your pain 🙂

I slightly surprised you can't find a good local shop in TO but maybe post/look in the Canada forum

I'll have a look in Mississauga. I know when I bought my Arai street helmet 20 years ago they had some selection at a dealer there.

Royal Distributing has a huge store in Whitby, 3 others in Guelph, Innisfil & Sudbury.

Perhaps not a wide selection of enduro specific riding gear but no doubt quite a lot of regular MX gear to test fit.

You're actually quite lucky to have these stores in your general area, I have to mail order it hoping the online sizing charts are accurate 

and send it back if it doesn't fit.  There is ADM Sport in Quebec but at least 2 hours away and very doubtful if the prices are even competitive to RD or Fortnine.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

I can certainly find this outfit in many parts of Toronto!

Edited by nicad
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, mlatour said:

Royal Distributing has a huge store in Whitby, 3 others in Guelph, Innisfil & Sudbury.

Perhaps not a wide selection of enduro specific riding gear but no doubt quite a lot of regular MX gear to test fit.

You're actually quite lucky to have these stores in your general area, I have to mail order it hoping the online sizing charts are accurate 

and send it back if it doesn't fit.  There is ADM Sport in Quebec but at least 2 hours away and very doubtful if the prices are even competitive to RD or Fortnine.

That is great, on my way to Quebec today and will stop in and have a look. Thanks.

You can also try ORPS in newmarket.  I k ow they expanded their shop and they're ramping up inventory now.  But I would phone before going to see what they have.

Please nobody quote "rawbw" wow! As said before best boots and helmet you can afford, match everything else according. You can always stop by the local shop with a deep credit card balance and they will outfit you for free! Yes free!

• Like 2

If I could only pick one it would be Fox.

I have a Fox V2 helmet, was under $200 (US), Fox 180 style shirt/pants/gloves.  

For boots I went with the very expensive Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS.  The Sidi Crossfire TA boots have the common laced up style soles on them.  This design makes the soles of the boot wider than the molded on SRS style.  Could be all in my head, but I think the SRS style, being more narrow, catches less when in the woods.  Sounds like you can't really look at these, but if you look at the same size boot, flip them over and look at the width of the soles, the SRS might be as much as 1" more narrow.  

Well I had some success today. Definately saw the type of Gear I was  looking for, as there were two big shops right near each other. One called Grand Prix, the other a big shop called Royal distributing. Looked at helmets mostly. Tried on Fox, Bell, Shoei, Fly and 6D in both shops. There were plenty of other brands too. The one that fit the best by far was the 6D ATR 1 in a large. I needed an extra large in a Fox. Price wise it was heavily discounted at one shop as they only had one in the whole store. That is the one that fit best and felt right looking out. I think the price was very good at $319.00 Usd. It was full pop at the other shop . They had last year's Shoei for about that price, but the 6D felt better.

I dunno about the colour, but I figure it is now Me!! 

IMG_20170503_214902_zpsub8re8fl.jpg 

Also looked at boots. The leading candidate is the Sidi Crossfire TA.

Feel a bit embarrassed buying this high end gear, like a beginner at a ski shop buying race skis, but I keep talking to people who have shredded their legs. One guy at the shop who was standing by as I tried on boots said he had those Sidi boots and spent the whole winter in a cast with pins in his leg. Said those books saved his leg. He limped out of the store in an upbeat mood with a new tire over his shoulder.

I better not get hurt like that, as skiing is really my absolute favorite thing to do. (Ha, and I live in Ontario!!)

More choices next week. Thanks!

Edited by nicad

Quality protective gear is well worth it, 

many of us have no problem replacing still serviceable parts 'preventatively' or,

experimenting with different tires, sprocket ratios, shock springs etc. when what we already have does just fine 

but always an hesitation of spending extra on better quality protective gear that prevents injuries.

Edited by mlatour

7 hours ago, temporarily_locked said:

make sure you get some good knee pads. I don't like neck braces, but i do really like the Leatt Dual Axis Knee/Shin Guards.

Just curious about your neck brace experience? I am assuming it is restriction of movement?

Ok, a couple of items now acquired. Boots and helmet. Check. Also bought some Alpinestars Bionic underpants.. What is left is knees, and any upper body padding that makes sense. WHen I rode in Arizona this winter  with a guide I had some integrated upper pads and put a plastic rib protector with hydration pack built in over it. DO most trail riders bother with the plastic rib protector, or do you get by with these integrated pad and back protector systems like the ones from Leatt and Alpinestars, etc?

As for knees, Do pads offer the same protection as the much more expensive braces? I value my knees highly. If I was unable to ski or play badminton due to an accident, I'd need anti depressants long term. 

If you have some safety gear that totally impresses you, I'd love to hear about it.  My worry is that as you add layers of gear, you just can't deal with the heat.

Tia