So I had a new cam chain installed because my old one had broken links. With the old one the mcct backed itself all the way out and sometimes I may have tightened it too much. So when my mechanic put the mcct in he screwed it in until the bike started to bog down. The whole time he was adjusting it, the rattle noise never went away. He said that it's because I need the acct.

What I don't understand is that if the mcct goes in until the bike bogs and still rattles, why would a acct help stop the rattle? The chain is being tightened and the motor still make this ticking sound. The guy who installed the cam chain, adjusted my valves, and adjusted the tensioner fully rebuilt my motor last year. I feel as if there may be a problem within the motor and that he is afraid to tell me.

Should I run a thicker viscosity oil? Tomorrow I will try to hand tighten the tensioner until I feel it touch the guide. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You need to round up the towns people, get some pitch forks, torches and run that mechanic out of the village!

There is the normal rattle sound and then there is the loose chain rattle sound. The loose chain sound has best been described (imo) as shaking a metal coffee can with rocks in it. Tightening the tensioner until the motor bogged is WAY too much. All you want to do is stop the coffee can sound.

There is a good write up in the FAQ's that properly explains how to install the tensioner correctly.

• Like 4

i wouldnt try to kill engine noises with thicker oil .. alot of things are splash-cooled in these motors, like the stator for instance, and running thick stringy goop will kill things faster even if theyre quiet about it ..

• Like 2

You need to round up the towns people, get some pitch forks, torches and run that mechanic out of the village!

There is the normal rattle sound and then there is the loose chain rattle sound. The loose chain sound has best been described (imo) as shaking a metal coffee can with rocks in it. Tightening the tensioner until the motor bogged is WAY too much. All you want to do is stop the coffee can sound.

There is a good write up in the FAQ's that properly explains how to install the tensioner correctly.

I mean he totally rebuilt it about 2k miles ago he should know everything about the motor. I assume it could be the auto decomp on the exhaust cam. If the acct doesn't fix it I may remove the auto decomp. I'll try what's suggested in the FAQ section soon.

10 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Tensioning a cam chain to the point where it actually binds the cam and slows the motor is nothing short of abusive. 

Edited by Diogenes415
  • Like 4

This is why I don't really think it's best to automatically tell everyone it's a must to toss the auto for a manual , nobody knows how many are overtightened worse than the auto version ever could . I picked up a 2006 Vinson 500 tensioner to see if it fits the DRZ and it does , I have to run it a bit to verify all is good but so far it's a good part . The spring tension is about exactly what a person would want , much lighter than the DRZ's and it can be adjusted some. I think that should be the one that people should be swapping to , though I would always recommend finding the newest model year possible .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cam-Chain-Tensioner-500-Vinson-LT-A500-Suzuki-Camshaft-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-/311703853567?hash=item4892ff59ff:g:P6oAAOSwmfhX4wIv&vxp=mtr

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

This is why I don't really think it's best to automatically tell everyone it's a must to toss the auto for a manual , nobody knows how many are overtightened worse than the auto version ever could . I picked up a 2006 Vinson 500 tensioner to see if it fits the DRZ and it does , I have to run it a bit to verify all is good but so far it's a good part . The spring tension is about exactly what a person would want , much lighter than the DRZ's and it can be adjusted some. I think that should be the one that people should be swapping to , though I would always recommend finding the newest model year possible .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cam-Chain-Tensioner-500-Vinson-LT-A500-Suzuki-Camshaft-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-/311703853567?hash=item4892ff59ff:g:P6oAAOSwmfhX4wIv&vxp=mtr

That thing looks rough. You would trust an old rusty tensioner like that?. And I know I did something really dumb. I ordered an acct and should have it on this weekend. Stay tuned

I just linked the first one that came up , mine came off an '06 , pretty decent shape . A person should definitely kind of look at the pictures closely before buying one , some aren't worth it that's for sure.