83 xl600 carbs

Hey all, been a while since I've been on here. So my 83 sat for a while after retirement. Now she won't start. Ran great before the long sit. Took carbs out and cleaned them. Had a buddy rebuild them with new kits. Now it will fire but only if I use a little starting fluid. Just doesn't seem to be getting gas. Spark is good. Just changed the oil and filter. Not sure what to do at the moment. Any suggestions? Thanks all

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG.b430c0f9ddee3b4f3b1dd23408f7ceed.JPG

As for the carbs, there are two comments that give me a little concern.

1. Buddy cleaned carbs) Were you there while this happened? Has he done carb work on these duals before? Has he done work on carbs for you before?

2. Installed carb kits) The oem honda rebuild kits for these are discontinued meaning he installed aftermarket parts. Are the jets genuine keihin? What sizes? New emulsion tubes, or old ones cleaned?

Many good questions. He has done many. Not on duel carbs though. Not original. I think I need to take them out and do it again. I can't put gas in the carbs and it will start for a second. So we missed something. I've had this bike for years. My uncle bought it new and I've never had to touch the carbs. Then let it sit to long.

I can put gas in the carbs and it'll fire

• Like 1

Many good questions. He has done many. Not on duel carbs though. Not original. I think I need to take them out and do it again. I can't put gas in the carbs and it will start for a second. So we missed something. I've had this bike for years. My uncle bought it new and I've never had to touch the carbs. Then let it sit to long.
I can put gas in the carbs and it'll fire

It could just be that the float got hung up on reinstall and isn't allowing fuel in. Or float height is way off.

Pull the primary bowl with the carb still on the bike and fuel petcock turned off. Turn the fuel on and operate the float by hand and see if it operates properly and gets fuel.

Have you verified fuel flow from tank to carb?

Yes It is going to the carbs from petcock. I will try that before taking those out again. Dam tight in there. Lol

• Like 1

Well I work out of town Wednesday till Friday. When I went out to my barn Saturday my son kicked it one time and it started. I had put some additive in the gas. It will idle but as soon as I touch the throttle it stalls.

What's the best way to set up the throttle cables on the carbs to start fresh? Is there a standard way to start off?

Ok. Thanks. Right now they are way not right lol. Secondary is opening at the same time.

It wasn't on purpose lol. I took them off and by buddy put them back on. Bad idea. Can it run with the secondary cable off? And what about the cam between the two. It was off for a long time I'm guessing. Always ran good though

It wasn't on purpose lol. I took them off and by buddy put them back on. Bad idea. Can it run with the secondary cable off? And what about the cam between the two. It was off for a long time I'm guessing. Always ran good though

Secondary cable? Do you mean the return cable?

Ya. What's a good base line for it.

Hmmmm, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

The return cable is necessary in my opinion. Some folks run without it but I fail to see a benefit in removing a device that prevents the throttle from sticking wide open.

Set up the "pull" cable as if it were a one cable throttle, then adjust the return cable just tight enough that it doesn't have visible slack. I hope that is what you were asking.