Accelerator Carburetor for DR

I have a 1997 DR350SE and wondering if I can use a Mikuni 33mm Accelerator Pumper Flat Side Carburetor in it?  Can it just be swapped out or does it require modifications?  Pros and cons?

If you're going for a 33mm pumper carb then why wouldn't you do the hugely popular TM33 swap from the dirt model bikes?

7 hours ago, Jayblank said:

I have a 1997 DR350SE and wondering if I can use a Mikuni 33mm Accelerator Pumper Flat Side Carburetor in it?  Can it just be swapped out or does it require modifications?  Pros and cons?

you'll need an intake manifold, spacer, airbox boot, throttle cables.

the advantage is harder pull down low. thats about it

The one I have in mind has the throttle cables.  Are you saying that the stock intake manifold and airbox boot will not fit?

You need to be more specific. Are you talking about fitting the TM33 from the dirt model bikes or just some unknown flat slide carb?

To fit the flat slide TM33 pumper onto you DR350SE, meaning it is a street model bike with a BST33 currently installed, then yes the intake manifold on the engine side is the incorrect size and the airbox boot is the wrong size. In addition, the TM33 does not clear your electric starter motor and would thus require a spacer to move the carb toward the rear of the bike to clear. This is a VERY covered topic if you do a simple Google search but Plugeye has given you a good list of things that would need to change in order to fit a TM33.

18 minutes ago, paint it black said:
did you read my link and look at my picture ? i fitted the tm33 several years back without any need for spacers etc , no problems at all 

The DR350SE (street model, e start) uses a BST33 carb from the factory. This has a larger inlet and outlet size than the TM33 requiring spacers or different intake manifold and airbox boots. In addition, the TM33 uses shorter throttle cables and routes them down the right side of the bike instead of the left. Thirdly the TM33 uses a different throttle tube and by using your BST33 throttle tube you will never be able to reach WOT. The list goes on and I see no link or photo in your post. This is a hugely covered topic.

Perhaps yours is a dirt model or has an aftermarket airbox? I've held both carbs, both intake manifolds and both airbox boots in my hands.

EDIT: After pulling this up on the computer instead of my phone I can finally see the link. Putting a piece of silicone over the carb inlet will work but you still need the proper size intake manifold, throttle cables, and throttle tube. I've never seen one mounted without the spacer and to be honest I'm surprised it fit without rubbing on the starter motor.

Edited by hscarborough

Hi Guys:
Thanks for all of the feedback.    Sounds like I'll have to do more research.  Here's the ebay link to the carb for sale - http://www.ebay.com/itm/152532809282?ul_noapp=true
I am looking for a little more performance, but maybe this isn't the answer.

Yes that's the popular TM33 that I have on one of my bikes. I absolutely love it because of it's ease of starting. That said, you have an E start so you don't have that problem (mine's kick). A lot of people shy away from buying them used because they wear out quicker than the stock BST33. For that price I would recommend buying new for about $220.

Have fun with the DR!

12 hours ago, hscarborough said:

EDIT: After pulling this up on the computer instead of my phone I can finally see the link. Putting a piece of silicone over the carb inlet will work but you still need the proper size intake manifold, throttle cables, and throttle tube. I've never seen one mounted without the spacer and to be honest I'm surprised it fit without rubbing on the starter motor.

you dont need any of that stuff to make it fit, 

the dirt model intake boot would no doubt be an improvement but if you tighten up the clamp real good then the one for the cv carb does work,

i'm using the stock cables for the bst, rerouted to fit the tm and throttle tube from the cv carb , i had to play with the inline cable adjusters to get the carb to open fully ,how they were adjusted for the bst wont work with the tm , adjusting the cables takes a couple of mins and costs nothing,  the carb  does open fully , shuts fully and snaps back when released,works perfectly

as you can see in the pic the carb does not touch the starter, it is pretty close but it doesn't cause any issues,

now i didn't just read about this on the internet, the same misinformation being repeated by guys that haven't actually tried it, i actually did it and its pretty simple  , by all means get yourself the spacers and cables etc but its not necessary,

been running this set up for 5 years all works as it should and only cost the price of a used carb off ebay 

Edited by paint it black

Hi Guys:
I misspoke.  My bike's a 1993 and it is a kick start.  Will this pumper carb be an upgrade for the stock?

It makes little difference what year. Just means you wouldn't need the spacer to clear your e start. Still need the other things or follow the methods a previous poster mentioned to make it work. The general consensus is that it does not improve horsepower but instead adds quicker throttle response. Lowers your gas mileage and in my case makes for easier starts in the morning.

Now, that said I don't believe I would buy a used one. They are said to wear out quicker than the stock carb and thus a heavily used one online may be a headache.
  • Like 1