Car that can tow a bike?

I am in desperate need of a car but I need something that can tow a hitch dirt bike trailer (one of the trailers where the bike is flush with the back of the car) but I can not find anything that can support the weight of a bike on its hitch like that. I can not afford a truck because they hold their value way too well and I am not buying a car with over 60k miles. Have a budget of around $10,000. No idea what I can get. Been looking all over and I can't find anything that works for me. 

The car needs a 2' hitch 

Edited by HelmetCamMatt

Get you a little 3 rail motorcycle trailer. Hell a geo metro would pull one of those with a motorcycle on it around.

• Like 1

Just now, SonsRexspensive said:

Get you a little 3 rail motorcycle trailer. Hell a geo metro would pull one of those with a motorcycle on it around.

Really looking for something that will work with my current trailer are possible. How much can you buy one of the rail trailers for? Everywhere I looked was like $750+

Any car if you're determined...

truck will be fine man, I payed 700$ for my 93 ranger 7 years ago. It's got 300k miles now

60k is nothing these days and even in the old days when you'd get 100k out of an engine those were cheap to rebuild. Get a car and a cheap truck to haul it if you can. If not find a midsize car, although at under 10k bucks and under 60k miles idk what you're gonna get, maybe a Altima. Most likely a shitty Kia. I think you can find a fine truck for under 10k though, and I'm not even talking about beaters

Trailer will be a much higher capacity since it will have its own axle to support the weight. Those hitch carriers put a lot of leverage on the rear suspension and, while you can get away with it, it's not a good solution. Most any car will pull a little trailer just fine, and you'll be able to use it for other things too.

If you have a 10,000 budget man you can find a nice truck for that yes it may have over 60k miles but these engines today will do 300k easy just take care of it. if you use a car it will pull it but all you are doing is wearing the rear end and transmission which could cost more than if you would have just bought a truck with a few more miles. Just giving my 2cents but you can find a nice truck or you can find a beater truck that you can use to haul your bike for say 2,000 and spend the other 8,000 on a car.

There are plenty of small and midsized SUVs that will easily handle a single bike hitch rack. For cars your going to need to look for something on the big side, chances are that any used car that you find that already has the right sized hitch receiver will handle the wieght of one bike.

If you don't mind going a bit older in model years, pretty much any RWD Volvo will do it easily, and they are quite easy to maintain. If domestic is more your style then look for body on frame cars like Ford Crown Vic's or Buick Roadmasters, in fact, Roadmaster wagons are quite capable tow rigs. 

Edit: I missed the part about the $10k budget. Man, you can find tons of great vehicles with that budget. I'm usually working with a quarter of that budget and make out ok. 

Edited by HappyAndy

Just about any car will haul a trailer as long as it's not some 5000 lb car hauler, heck a guy came in to the trails on a street bike hauling a trailer with a dirtbike, funny site to see!