Sign in to follow this  

Street legal 450. Where do you put everything?

I'm in the process of converting my 450 to dual sport. The problem is, it doesn't seem there's enough room on the handlebars for everything. My question is, Where do you put everything? I also will be installing doubletake mirrors. If Any of you who have converted your 450 to dual sport have a picture of your handlebar set up please post.

I started off with a stock North American 2009 WR450 and added the Tusk Enduro Lighting Kit......     

Yes, the bars were a little crowded with the addition of the headlight/horn/turn signal switch on the left side and the Tusk master on/off switch on the right side. The Tusk on/off switch is really a big piece of crap that says "engine stop" on it, so I looked for a way to get rid of it.

5D3_5877.jpg

I did some online research and found any easy way to eliminate the Tusk on/off switch on any WR250 or WR450.....  Just remove the switch and connect the yellow and black Tusk harness wires together so the system is always on. Then remove the Tusk positive battery wire connection and connect it to the unused stock tail light connection. (the tail light is wired to always comes on with the WR450 main power switch). The tail light wire seemed a little thin but it has plenty of current to handle the entire Tusk LED system, including the horn as well. Now the entire Tusk system is wired to come on with the stock WR450 on/off switch.

5D3_5865a_1024.jpg

5D3_5863a_1024.jpg

I went even further and eliminated the left side kill switch by replacing the original right side start switch with a stock Yamaha combination starter and run/stop switch from a street legal bike. I ordered the switch for a 09 WR250R thinking the wiring connections might fit, but they don't. Another slight problem is that the stock WR450 kill switch grounds out the ignition but the WR250R "opens" the ignition wiring to the CDI box. This means the WR250R red kill switch works, but the run/stop labeling is reversed when used on a WR450 and it runs in the "stop" position and dies in the "run" position.  I did more research and it seems that all Yamaha street bikes use an "open" kill circuit. I tried looking at various wiring diagrams, and I haven't  been able to find one that uses a "closed" or "grounded" circuit to kill the ignition just like the WR450.  If anyone know one that will work with the correct labeling (closed kill, open run), please let me know. 

I also added a "12v" LED neutral light using the "sky blue" wire. Here is a link that shows you how to do it: Add a neutral light to your WR 

5D3_5863a_640.jpg

Edited by msowsun
  • Like 5

Wow. Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!!!!

Where did you find the start switch? I've googled wr250 start switch but can't find anything.

I started off with a stock North American 2009 WR450 and added the Tusk Enduro Lighting Kit......     
Yes, the bars were a little crowded with the addition of the headlight/horn/turn signal switch on the left side and the Tusk master on/off switch on the right side. The Tusk on/off switch is really a big piece of crap that says "engine stop" on it, so I looked for a way to get rid of it.
5D3_5877.jpg
I did some online research and found any easy way to eliminate the Tusk on/off switch on any WR250 or WR450.....  Just remove the switch and connect the yellow and black Tusk harness wires together so the system is always on. Then remove the Tusk positive battery wire connection and connect it to the unused stock tail light connection. (the tail light is wired to always comes on with the WR450 main power switch). The tail light wire seemed a little thin but it has plenty of current to handle the entire Tusk LED system, including the horn as well. Now the entire Tusk system is wired to come on with the stock WR450 on/off switch.
5D3_5865a_1024.jpg
5D3_5863a_1024.jpg
I went even further and eliminated the left side kill switch by replacing the original right side start switch with a stock Yamaha combination starter and run/stop switch from a street legal bike. I ordered the switch for a 09 WR250R thinking the wiring connections might fit, but they don't. Another slight problem is that the stock WR450 kill switch grounds out the ignition but the WR250R "opens" the ignition wiring to the CDI box. This means the WR250R red kill switch works, but the run/stop labeling is reversed when used on a WR450 and it runs in the "stop" position and dies in the "run" position.  I did more research and it seems that all Yamaha street bikes use an "open" kill circuit. I tried looking at various wiring diagrams, and I haven't  been able to find one that uses a "closed" or "grounded" circuit to kill the ignition just like the WR450.  If anyone know one that will work with the correct labeling (closed kill, open run), please let me know. 
I also added a "12v" LED neutral light using the "sky blue" wire. Here is a link that shows you how to do it: Add a neutral light to your WR 
5D3_5863a_640.jpg

Did you just cut the connector off of the start/kill switch and direct wire it? I found the switch. About $40 online. I also found this one I'm considering.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/956/-/937972/Sicass-Racing-Start-Kill-Switch?v=9571&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoqvIBRD6ls6og8qB77YBEiQAcqqHe40WsG1j3-Ff_8SWkGpjYguaEINZtdJLL5DLQheJXmYaAncV8P8HAQ

29 minutes ago, Jtsarby said:

Did you just cut the connector off of the start/kill switch and direct wire it? I found the switch. About $40 online. I also found this one I'm considering.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/956/-/937972/Sicass-Racing-Start-Kill-Switch?v=9571&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoqvIBRD6ls6og8qB77YBEiQAcqqHe40WsG1j3-Ff_8SWkGpjYguaEINZtdJLL5DLQheJXmYaAncV8P8HAQ

Yes, I had to cut the connectors off both the original WR450 kill switch, and starter switch, and then wire them up to the new Yamaha WR250R combination starter/kill switch.  

Keep in mind that the Yamaha kill switch will appear to be labelled in reverse, and it will make the engine stop in the run position, and run in the stop position. This is because the stock WR450 kill switch momentarily "closes" and grounds out the ignition, but the WR250R switch "opens" and stops power flowing to the ignition wiring. Reversing the wires makes no difference. 

I suspect the Sicass kill switch will be a momentary closed switch and will work the same way as the original WR450 kill switch. 

Surprisingly they clamp tight and don't move. It worked out great. Who says you can't clamp a round mount onto a square support? Or something like that.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-4 at 2:57 PM, msowsun said:

Yes, I had to cut the connectors off both the original WR450 kill switch, and starter switch, and then wire them up to the new Yamaha WR250R combination starter/kill switch.  

Keep in mind that the Yamaha kill switch will appear to be labelled in reverse, and it will make the engine stop in the run position, and run in the stop position. This is because the stock WR450 kill switch momentarily "closes" and grounds out the ignition, but the WR250R switch "opens" and stops power flowing to the ignition wiring. Reversing the wires makes no difference. 

I suspect the Sicass kill switch will be a momentary closed switch and will work the same way as the original WR450 kill switch. 

It's not a kill switch, it's an ignition toggle.

It's supposed to be wired up in series with the ignition key, not the kill switch circuit.

You can remove the killswitch circuit from the bike after that and save some wiring.

There is no ignition key on most WR450F's,  but I know that some people do wire the "ignition toggle" in series with the main switch button.  

It's just a personal preference, but I would rather have them as separate functions so I could quickly kill the ignition but still leave on all the lights and accessories. 

Edited by msowsun

The way I have mine wired up, my key has 2 sets of wires, one turns on ignition, the other turns on the lighting harness.

When I toggle the ignition switch on the bar, the lights stay on 🙂