01 rm 250 smoking

Hi,i got this 01 rm 250 and before we had a cold snap,it was running pretty good. Now after the cold spell, it always starts on the first kick,spits out oil and smoke,runs like it has the choke on,and only realy adjusts to the air screw. Ive had the carb apart and cleaned it,checked the air box,and have looked into the float needle and seat,but non of those seem to have helped. Any ideas?

neeeds to be jetted

45 pilot

2004-2008 necj needle and also buy a nedj needle

and leave the 162 standard main

google spanky's jetting guide for correct air screw adjustment

40:1 pre mix with good low flash point full synthetic oil

repack the silencer

is the float set to correct height ?

good videos on you tube on how to set the height with the blow through a fuel hose method

I was looking and my manual and ,noticed that the needle I have in my carb does not have the letters and numbers of one that the manual would call for,would that make a difference on how it would run?

1 hour ago, Payton Johnson said:

I was looking and my manual and ,noticed that the needle I have in my carb does not have the letters and numbers of one that the manual would call for,would that make a difference on how it would run?

Yeah. I would take out all the jets and see what numbers they are and replace them with standard ones and go from there. Climate does affect how a bike runs, so depending upon how the carb is jetted it may work well in the summer but awful in the winter or vica versa. Depends on elevation too.

Edited by AE448

8 hours ago, Payton Johnson said:

what letters are on it ?

read my post above and the bike will run sweet

clip 3 for the necj needle 

clip 2 for the nedj needle

Edited by kxrob

I have my bike to pretty much the stock jetting and needle settings,and i am running 50:1 gas,I was talking with a mechanic and he said that the only other thing on my carb would be my float,but i think it works just fine. Is there anything that can cause this,it still spits a lot of oil and is constantly dripping it out of the exhuast pipe when it sits. Would the exhaust valve have anything to do with it,or any other ideas?

Edited by Payton Johnson
Spelling

leaking choke and standard jetting /airscrew setting is rich

so you adjusted airscrew for the highest idle as per spanky's jetting guide or is it at 1.5 turns out as stated in the manual ?