Anyone tapped their handlebar ends for handguard mounting?

Just wondering if anyone has tapped their handlebars to anchor their handguard mounts? I see kits out there for 5/8" inside diameter and measured my handlebars at roughly 9/16" inside diameter, so that _should_ mean that it could be tapped with enough thickness there, but wondering if anyone has done it?

Yeah, just don't tap too far. You want it to stop turning as close to flush possible.

Yup, works great. I tell the bar to 5/8"-11NC. Use a taper tap and only go deep enough so the insert is just flush.

You can make your own inserts lot of a 5/8-11NC x 1" bolt.

4 minutes ago, bkoz said:

Yup, works great. I tell the bar to 5/8"-11NC. Use a taper tap and only go deep enough so the insert is just flush.

You can make your own inserts lot of a 5/8-11NC x 1" bolt.

Sounds good. I've got the 5/8" -11 tap already, but don't have the ability to machine my own inserts, so will probably tap the bars and buy the plain inserts to thread handguards into. Now that you told me it's 11 TPI that makes life easier. :)

You can make the inserts with a drill, 8mm tap and a hack saw

I tapped both my 500 and 450, ride with guys who have done same. Easy to do but as noted above don't tap to far.

7 hours ago, Spud786 said:

what happens if you tap to far?

read the second sentence of the second post.

M16x2 is a perfect fit, machine the inserts with a small sholder. Install with Loctite, hold up to the nastiest tumbles.