650L Counter sprocket and output shaft issue

I have a 2005 XR650L. The other day I down shifted into 1st and I had no down shift de-acceleration, the bike rev'd up and then I pulled in the clutch and stopped. I attempted release the clutch from a complete stop but nothing. I got the bike back home and the output shaft splines are all rounded over and the sprocket is not engaging. I had this happen many years ago (2008?). I pulled the motor and had my local shop break it down and replace the output shaft. It was just too big of a project for me and I did not have the time to deal with it then.

Now that it has happened again, I've researched the issue and will fix it correctly with the sprocket from the 650R and install that backwards, right?

Now my question...

Until I can pull the motor and break it down, does anyone know of a reason why I CANNOT weld the sprocket to the output shaft? I was looking at it and it seems as long as I line up the sprocket in the correct position I should be able to weld it together. Please let me know if this is a BAD idea or what!

Thank you!
Brady

The main possible downside is if the welding gets the shaft too hot and the whole shebang breaks off, leaving you stranded.

Other than that it's all gravy except for having to cut the welds to get the shaft off for disassembly.

Yeah he did. But he brought me the engine and I turned it into this

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BearsZX72 said:

...the output shaft splines are all rounded over and the sprocket is not engaging...

I sure would like to see a picture.  Yours is the worst I've ever heard of.

mcma111 (Steve), you do such beautiful work.  But if I had an engine that looked like that, I would have to keep the whole bike clean. ;)

By the way, mine is still running great, even if it all is a bit dirty.  Ran a rear tire down to the cords yesterday, had to limp it home.

16 hours ago, Hollerhead said:

I sure would like to see a picture.  Yours is the worst I've ever heard of.

Maybe I over stated the truth but that's what it seemed like! They're not all rounded off. I'll snap a picture later on tonight or tomorrow and post it up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BearsZX72 said:

Maybe I over stated the truth but that's what it seemed like! They're not all rounded off. I'll snap a picture later on tonight or tomorrow and post it up.

The only reason I ask is that I gave a guy's bike some more life without tearing it down by making a special sprocket for it.  I had about $80 in it.  It worked for a few months that I know of.  Neither he, nor the bike, is around anymore so I'm not sure how it has lasted. 

Depending on how bad yours is and what you want from the repair, it may work for you as well.  It doesn't require much in the way of splines but it does need some.  

I don't make them, I just made this one.  If you want to make one I have a "prototype" (pictured below and actually an accident that I made backward) that I can take some measurements from and send you.  I'd suggest a tear down and replacement shaft but this was just something I wanted to try and it helped a guy get going that didn't have any extra money to spend.  It's pretty easily made from two sprockets.

KLD sprocket.jpg