86' xl pulse generator search

Gents, having an issue locating a new generator, pulse pn# 30300-MK2-010. All parts joints are showing this as discontinued.

The actual part looks just like the do-hickey that branches off the stator, but the parts fiche is showing this item coming out of the right side crank case, so I'm somewhat puzzled there.

Any tips on where to locate this little guy?

Assuming it's the same as my 83 XL600, then it's on the right side just above the oil pump. I couldn't find a new one either. I ended up buying a used one off eBay which worked fine.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Honda is terrible about identifying parts as "discontinued" when they are technically "superceded". Get one for any year XR600R preferably the last year of production.

• Like 3

Ahhh, very good, thanks fellas, my heart can stop pounding now.

On 03/05/2017 at 8:19 PM, valvesrule said:

Honda is terrible about identifying parts as "discontinued" when they are technically "superceded". Get one for any year XR600R preferably the last year of production.

Is this statement correct?

I ask, not to query your knowledge because I'm in a similar position to the O/P.

I have a 1989 XR600 and can't find a pulse generator for that year here in the UK from usual suppliers. I can find one for a later, 2000 XR600R and want to know if that will drop right in?

1989 XR part no:30300MN1671

2000 XR part no: 30300MN1680

Appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks

Admittedly a Clymer manual is shaky evidence but page 277, table 5 shows the same resistance for all pulse generators XL600 or XR600. They list a different value for 83-84 XR500 but I have swapped later models into these too with no adverse effect. These "pulse generators" effectively are nothing more than senders. They send a hall effect signal to the CDI box which does all the work of advance beyond initial timing. They are physically identical from 83-84 XR500, 83-87 XL600, 85-2000 XR600 to 2017 XR650L. While there is some dispute that the 650L has AC ignition while all others are DC the senders appear identical and I see no reason why they would function any different.

• Like 2

The XR650L is  DC  Valvesrule,,you did a typo......the XR650L PG is also an AC signal....everything else on the bike is DC VOLTS  .

But you are correct that all PG`s are basically identical,,,they possible may have a different harness plug,,,but I doubt that,,Honda reuses parts for centuries,,not years..

B

Edited by brianhare

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, brianhare said:

The XR650L is  DC  Valvesrule,,you did a typo......the XR650L PG is also an AC signal....everything else on the bike is DC VOLTS  .

But you are correct that all PG`s are basically identical,,,they possible may have a different harness plug,,,but I doubt that,,Honda reuses parts for centuries,,not years..

B

Thanx for the correction/clarification. It hasn't been a priority for me to study the differences between the L electricals versus all others. If it works don't fix it.

• Like 1