Jump to content

2018 450FX, any rumors or news on changes?

Recommended Posts

Title says it all.  Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors or stories of changes to the 18 FX?  I read somewhere that Yamaha may release the 18's any time now (June is what I read). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have been wondering the same thing about the 2018 450fx. im betting no changes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing really holding back the FX from putting a bigger dent in KTMs lineup is weight. They are trying to compete against the XC-F which is 30+ lbs lighter, that's huge. Come'on Yami shave some weight off that piggy..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the YZFX doesn't go the way of the WR with respect to updates. If they were serious, Yamaha would keep it every bit as cutting-edge as the YZ450F. Waiting a 2-3 years for the new tech to trickle down to the offroad market doesn't really generate a lot of excitement for the consumer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

The one thing really holding back the FX from putting a bigger dent in KTMs lineup is weight. They are trying to compete against the XC-F which is 30+ lbs lighter, that's huge. Come'on Yami shave some weight off that piggy..

Yeah not sure about what they call advertised weights. But were talking about Yamaha reliability vs KTM so some weight difference will always be there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Yeah not sure about what they call advertised weights. But were talking about Yamaha reliability vs KTM so some weight difference will always be there. 

Love it when folks try and sneak that "reliability stat" into the conversation. I've currently got a '13 450XC-F that I've had since new and a '17 YZ250X and I can tell you I've spent more time wrenching on this YZ in the last 3 months (most of it just trying to get it dialed in) than I have total in the 4 yrs I've owned my XCF. It has been rock solid just like 7 other KTMs I've owned, and I've also owned many Yami's and had great luck with them accept for my '04 WR450 and that was a LEMON POS!!!!!!!

 

No excuses, the FX needs to be put on a diet, weight should be right in line the the 450F maybe a 2-3 more lbs tops....

Edited by Wrfrk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wrfrk said:

Love it when folks try and sneak that "reliability stat" into the conversation. I've currently got a '13 450XC-F that I've had since new and a '17 YZ250X and I can tell you I've spent more time wrenching on this YZ in the last 3 months (most of it just trying to get it dialed in) than I have total in the 4 yrs I've owned my XCF. It has been rock solid just like 7 other KTMs I've owned, and I've also owned many Yami's and had great luck with them accept for my '04 WR450 and that was a LEMON POS!!!!!!!

 

No excuses, the FX needs to be put on a diet, weight should be right in line the the 450F maybe a 2-3 more lbs tops....

The newer KTMs aren't that bad from what I've seen close up. But I wouldn't want plastic oil pump gears and aluminum shift drums and single sided wheel bearings. 

Ive got a pretty well built 07 WR450 motor that's been everywhere since 07 and now the boy is beating on it. Still going. 

I upgraded to a built 16' WR450 and enjoying it. I've ridden the 16' KTM 500's there just different bikes. Haven't ridden the new 17's yet. 

Personally I think there will always be KTM buyers and Yamaha buyers. I don't imagine Yamaha cares too much of what KTM sells.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

Love it when folks try and sneak that "reliability stat" into the conversation. I've currently got a '13 450XC-F that I've had since new and a '17 YZ250X and I can tell you I've spent more time wrenching on this YZ in the last 3 months (most of it just trying to get it dialed in) than I have total in the 4 yrs I've owned my XCF. It has been rock solid just like 7 other KTMs I've owned, and I've also owned many Yami's and had great luck with them accept for my '04 WR450 and that was a LEMON POS!!!!!!!

 

No excuses, the FX needs to be put on a diet, weight should be right in line the the 450F maybe a 2-3 more lbs tops....

i agree as much as i love my fx it is to heavy. buy knowing yamaha they wont update it for a long time .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

Love it when folks try and sneak that "reliability stat" into the conversation. I've currently got a '13 450XC-F that I've had since new and a '17 YZ250X and I can tell you I've spent more time wrenching on this YZ in the last 3 months (most of it just trying to get it dialed in) than I have total in the 4 yrs I've owned my XCF. It has been rock solid just like 7 other KTMs I've owned, and I've also owned many Yami's and had great luck with them accept for my '04 WR450 and that was a LEMON POS!!!!!!!

 

No excuses, the FX needs to be put on a diet, weight should be right in line the the 450F maybe a 2-3 more lbs tops....

I try to like the new KTMs but having had to ride some of them back in the 80's and 90's I still have PTSD.  When they came out with the white ones (called them Huskies but I wasn't fooled) a couple years ago I was found curled up in the corner wetting myself having flashbacks of a certain white KTM 550 my roommate use to have.  I really do hope they pressure the other manufacturers into going on a diet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stevethe said:

The newer KTMs aren't that bad from what I've seen close up. But I wouldn't want plastic oil pump gears and aluminum shift drums and single sided wheel bearings. 

Ive got a pretty well built 07 WR450 motor that's been everywhere since 07 and now the boy is beating on it. Still going. 

I upgraded to a built 16' WR450 and enjoying it. I've ridden the 16' KTM 500's there just different bikes. Haven't ridden the new 17's yet. 

Personally I think there will always be KTM buyers and Yamaha buyers. I don't imagine Yamaha cares too much of what KTM sells.   

I ride a heavy old 05 wr. So what's a wheel bearing, and an oil pump gear, and a shift drum....mine must not have those. (:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2017 at 6:41 AM, Wrfrk said:

The one thing really holding back the FX from putting a bigger dent in KTMs lineup is weight. They are trying to compete against the XC-F which is 30+ lbs lighter, that's huge. Come'on Yami shave some weight off that piggy..

Yeah......more like 17lbs....and, the KTM is a shorter life bike over all......and then there is all that flex....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Yeah......more like 17lbs....and, the KTM is a shorter life bike over all......and then there is all that flex....

You need some help with math.. FX= 262 XC-F= 224, my calculator tells me that's 38lbs oh and I've weighed my '13 450XCF on a legit scale and with tank close to full and it weighed 262lbs. How is it that my old 450 with all my trail armor and other add on's weighs the same as the claimed weight of the new FX? That is just sad.......... :( That bike needs a diet big time.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats really interesting is how a 2015 450 xcf goes from 241 lbs to a 2017 claimed weight of 224 lbs. it really seems magical. What was possibly removed for a 17 lbs diet. Jeez why buy a 2 stroke when u can ride a 220 lbs 450. Something smells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a die hard KTM fan, only ever owned KTM. But i do really love yamaha, and it looks like they are gonna E start their 450F bikes, if they do then they re jumping a huge step up to KTM's level. ditch the cable clutch and some weight and boom, you got a KTM killer! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2017 at 8:34 AM, Wrfrk said:

You need some help with math.. FX= 262 XC-F= 224, my calculator tells me that's 38lbs oh and I've weighed my '13 450XCF on a legit scale and with tank close to full and it weighed 262lbs. How is it that my old 450 with all my trail armor and other add on's weighs the same as the claimed weight of the new FX? That is just sad.......... :( That bike needs a diet big time.....

Then don't buy an FX, cause you obviously don't get it at all... 

You actually think weight is the most important thing, and you ignore all the other issues..... go ahead, try buying a KTM transmission shift drum or a WP fork lug, or a Nekken swingarm linkage knuckle and see what that costs you.   Find someone who will port your head.  Try and get 350 hours on your crank, or get the suspenion revalved correctly, without having to buy a Dicks Racing kit or a KTM world kit. Find a KTM who's brakes don't overheat after going down hill for a mile, or forks that don't flex, or etc etc.

Oh, and the dry weight you quote for the 450XC-F is meaningless. It's 244 wet ( 2 gal) 

The YZ450FX is 264 wet (2 gal)

These weights come from Dirt Bike Test Magazine (Jimmy Lewis). 

Let's see, the math on that is......wadda ya know......IT'S EXACTY 20 LBS.....

I apologize sincerley for being off by 3 lbs. Please forgive me....

You KTM guys are so brain washed....you see a shiny, beautiful motorcycle with amazing technology and features.....and then your brain shuts off and you start waving the flag....

.....oh, and if you really wanted to get the YZFX down to the KTM's weight, you could just put remove half the fasteners, use plastic gears, and take all the weight off the crank so all the power is at 6k and above, shrink the overall size of the motorcycle and cockpit....OR USE AIR FORKS ON AN OFF ROAD BIKE...!  ....like KTM does. 

 

Oh, and by the way, I reeeeallly like the 2017+ KTM's and Huskys. I think they are amazing motorcycles.  

I may buy one someday.  I've owned KTM's in the recent past, and the just did not cut it for me. Waaaaaay to flexy and slow.

....but facts are facts......and nothing can change that, not matter how emotional you make it........

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^Are you accusing me of being a KTM elitist? Here are my current scooters......... Oh and I've owned several Yami's over the years as well as KTMs, I can tell you the KTM build quality is a notch better. 

2013 450XC-F                                                                                            2017 YZ250X

 

Garage Bikes.JPG

Edited by Wrfrk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×