older bike market value

Newbie...forgive me if I posted in wrong section.  I have a 84' XL350R I plan on selling.  Can anyone recommend a site for obtaining a market value?  I tried kbb & nada, the difference in estimated values was significant and has me scratching my head on a asking price.

Check Craigslist and see what they are selling for. The guides are not going to give an accurate price for simething that old. For instance it says my wr400 is worth 700 bucks. In reality they sell for around 2500 generally. So i would start there.

Diesel & Steve:  Appreciate the input....I was guessing just over 1k, then I found one that sold on ebay recently for 3k! Albeit in much better shape.  I'll be posting it on craigslist this weekend and see what happens at a asking of $1500.

Thanks again

From my experience, $3K would be the price of a restored bike with a rebuilt engine, chassis, and plastics. A good running '84 in rideable condition would be less than $1K. There's just not that big of market for them.

• Like 2

Yeah if it were mint restored I could see maybe 3k.  But let's all be honest here, it's an 80s bike.  I think a realistic number on it (without even seeing a photo) is like $750 and be happy with it.

Edited by SteveKing84

King

Thanks for your opinion....

if you spent 19 minutes doing research, these old hondas have a collector following.  The eBay bike was stock, unrestored with 4K miles...my ride is stock, all original  with 10k miles and runs great.  If you need a pic, go see my first post on TT when I registered.  You'll find I'm not a tool bag.

That's all we are doing...giving opinions based on our experiences...nothing is personal...

I can't find the pic you are talking about...maybe post pic up again on this thread...someone may want it!

The old MX bikes have a market for Vintage MX racing, and that's a small market...the old trail bike market is mostly nostalgia buyers, even smaller. I was thinking about it more, and if someone wanted to turn it into a 4-stroke Vintage MX bike, then that would be fun to ride/race for a Novice who wanted the torque and didn't want the hit of a CR250R 2-stroke...they just don't make good trail bikes relative to a CRF250X...unless you ride slow.

...time is money, if you can sit on it, the right buyer may come along...nothing wrong with asking $1,500...again, good luck.

• Like 1

Most vintage buyers want something 70s or older, the bikes with metal tanks and fenders.  Like I said before it's an 80s bike, covered with plastic.  Like SofieDog said, the best case scenario is someone who will buy it out of nostalgia because it's not really a collectors bike.

I brought a 85 XR350R back to life, cost me about $1600-1700 including the initial $450 purchase price. I listed it for sale $1650 and settled for $1200. It's all about timing and finding the right buyer. Plus you never get what you put into these bikes, at least I don't. I go to work to make the money. Not buy/sell vintage Honda's.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, Undercover Poe said:

I brought a 85 XR350R back to life, cost me about $1600-1700 including the initial $450 purchase price. I listed it for sale $1650 and settled for $1200. It's all about timing and finding the right buyer. Plus you never get what you put into these bikes, at least I don't. I go to work to make the money. Not buy/sell vintage Honda 's.

you spent a bunch of money on a bike just to sell it and lose money?

Sounds silly when you put it that way. But I bought it as spare for my buddy and made it right. When my buddy wasn't tied up in the Marines and he could make it up north, he rode it in the Spring in the Berkshire's with me

09B7D523-CA21-4EEF-8292-7D8108E97354_zpsppkkf45p.jpg

7130EBB3-C72F-4C81-A3E0-66E490EAB701_zpskozvssc7.jpg

4F99F849-2EE3-4C19-B3B4-1D25489F54C1_zpshuefarsc.jpg

And then In the Fall we rode our xr's in the Pine Barron's.

C7C641A5-CFDF-48D4-80CA-6F1BB7340439_zpsphls1aro.jpg

F91A5EB7-6E70-4308-97FB-06CE70C67A33_zpsul0c2tjr.png

Then I bought a crf250x as My main ride and made my xr4 a spare for my buddy when he comes to New England.

09E58D40-6BB8-4953-A17C-CFCAE21FADB9_zps0e5ysf3z.jpg

So actually I bough an old Honda, put money into, used it to ride a couple AMA sanctioned events, and entertained myself for over a year and spent a few hundred dollars. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who put money into their bike and sold it for less than they had into. I don't buy and sell bikes to make money, I go to work for that.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

Show me someone here who has bought a neglected, cheap bike, restored it (fixed all issues then added guards, etc), and then later on decided to sell it and then breaks even.... few and far between. 

• Like 1