2012 350 RR wiring & instrument panel help?

I purchased a 350 RR used, the previous guy had removed all lighting and speedo. When I bought the bike he gave me a box with most of the parts. I have the headlight working. The only other thing I care about is the instrument panel which I have installed but is not working. It will power up bike does not need to be running by pressing the any of the 4 buttons on its face. However with bike running obviously no speed read out, but also no hour meter read out. My questions:

1. I assume the the panel should power up by its self once started?

2. Behind the headlight plate I see two plugs not connected to anything - plug 1 has a black wire & a white wire (3 lead connector but with only 2 wires) - plug 2 has blue and a yellow wire (2 lead connector). I'm guessing one of these is for the speedo lead, the other maybe turn signals? 

3. With tank removed I see another wire coming out of the ECU harness plugged into nothing, its Yellow w/ Red stripe (single lead connector). Any idea where this is supposed to plug into and or what its for?

4. With tank removed there is a 2 lead connector with a Gray wire and a Black wire running out of a wiring harness. Any idea where this is supposed to plug into and or what its for?

The bike is running great, but I would like to get the instrument panel working. As for the speedo cable with speed sensor. Beta is wanting $75 for only the cable, pretty rich in my opinion. I'm thinking I can just make one if I can find a threaded sensor to fit a front caliper housing.

I'm also considering replacing the whole thing with a Voyager or other Trail Tech units.

Anyway many thanks in advance!

Edited by missin44
Add more info
  • Like 1

Have you spent any time looking in manuals from Beta? For me I have a 12' Beta 350 but I don't have any of that hooked up..I will be putting a light later.. got a high output stator put on.  For me I'd just get the right cable from Beta.

http://www.betausa.com/content/support

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

It always sucks to reinstall something taken off by someone else, especially something from Italy. 

$75.00 for the Beta Speedo cable is, hmmmm ok I guess. But there are a few different ones from Beta for different vintages. I've played games with the Beta speedo cable, as Beta uses a weird jumper "problematic" to connect their cable to a TrailTech unit, BS IMHO.

IF you buy a $260.00 Voyager you get everything you need including cable and instructions to install. (the TrailTech Voyager) cable is stronger than the BETA OEM model (thicker, more stout) I've played that game.

IF you need a GPS and more bells and whistles that the standard unit offers, I'd move towards the Voyager. You can read a lot of stuff here on the Voyager, I think its killer and nice, but some uninformed riders here think it useless....

Good luck!

36 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Have you spent any time looking in manuals from Beta? For me I have a 12' Beta 350 but I don't have any of that hooked up..I will be putting a light later.. got a high output stator put on.  For me I'd just get the right cable from Beta.

http://www.betausa.com/content/support

After a little research the Trail Tech Endurance II can be had for $77 no sales tax and free shipping, and this includes all cables wiring etc. I think the decision is made. Now I'm looking at the 4 unites TT sells. At minimum the Striker or Vapor, The Voyager I like, though I have to research a bit more. The biggest issue I see with the Voyager is it doesn't really show you where you are, at least based on my research so far and no Topo. Still its a nice unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, missin44 said:

After a little research the Trail Tech Endurance II can be had for $77 no sales tax and free shipping, and this includes all cables wiring etc. I think the decision is made. Now I'm looking at the 4 unites TT sells. At minimum the Striker or Vapor, The Voyager I like, though I have to research a bit more. The biggest issue I see with the Voyager is it doesn't really show you where you are, at least based on my research so far and no Topo. Still its a nice unit.

I've used a Endurance II for a long time, prior to the Beta, I liked it. Though the buttons are a little small the bracket they include is a little wonky IHMO. And I made a much stronger bracket for my old one, I do not remember the quality of the cable to activate the magnet. 

The Voyager does show you just where you are at, but only if you follow a map, or build one on the fly. You can download a bunch of maps from pretty much anywhere (GPX) into the Voyager. It's 100% mind-blowing that amount of maps that are out there, all ya got to do is download the maps to your computer and then download them to the chip, and uploading your computer and then reviewing them in Google Maps, as well as passing along your maps to others. But no, its not a Garmin stuffed full of maps (if you buy their Topo maps software).

While I graduated from a Endurance II to a Garmin 60SX and then to the Voyager. The Garmin was OK, but the little screen and the lack of accuracy "on where you are" pissed me off more than once.

The Voyager is only in its real realm if you are doing long trails and accuracy is key +/- a few feet, and if you like making or following pre-made maps. And if you want to check whether your route was wheel tracking or GPS tracking, elevation some like, easy engine hours, time, etc. etc. MOST do not need the Voyager, but for those that are doing long events offroad IMHO they rock!

Many riders prefer the Garmin, but I found it lacking accuracy in the desert and taking the wrong trails that were close to other trails. 

The Endurance II is a excellent Speedo, as thats all it is for the most part, mine was not back-lit, it was kinda wonky when following a roll chart, it was not really my friend in that situation, I had to reset the diameter all the time for front tires, otherwise I'd be and was off of accuracy...

Granted there are a few people here that would prefer to mount their cell phone on the handlebars for maps or speed, ROFLMAO :jawdrop: 

Enjoy!