Case splitting - the kick start

So i'm working through splitting the cases to get at the gear change spring.

With the right hand cover off, clutch out etc, the manual says remove the kick start assembly. It says remove the idle gear (top gear) and then unhook the return spring and the assembly will come out.

However, not shown in the manual, but on my bike, there is a bracket with an ear over the idle gear keeping it in place, and the 2 bolts that hold that in place are behind the kick start gear so I can't get at them.

Can someone assist - seems like a catch 22 here.

KickStart.JPG

on the xr400 the kickstarter shaft pulls out at the point your at now after you unhook the return spring and let the spring unwind. I do not know about the 250's ..the only thing that holds the kick start shaft in is the outer case cover

i actually wonder if the kick start needs to come out to split the cases ? Seems like its all contained in the case part that will come off ?

I suspect if i pull the shaft it will come out, just a bit worried about getting tension on the spring when i come to put it together if i can't get at it properly ?

turns out the kick start does not need to come out anyways - i split the cases with it in - & the flywheel - saves some effort.

• Like 1