The Red Wolf, from Stock to Beast

I got my L last summer and other than going 13/42 the rest of the bike was stock when the season ended. Over the winter I laid down a tarp in the corner of the living room and got to work learning how to maintain and mod my bike. Huge thanks to all the great people here who answered my noob questions patiently and gave advice.

The rainy season is just winding up here so I insured the L a few days ago. I was really nervous about how the bike was going to run after all the work I did on it. I sort of did everything at once without testing the bike after each change. Got the plates on and took it for a rip .... WHOA! It's truly a different bike now and to my relief runs perfectly.

Stock with 13/42 it felt like a woman's bike to me. Although I had a ton of fun last summer exploring the woods and following old deer trails and just enjoying dual sport type riding I was regretting buying the L - let's be honest, in stock form it's a real puss.

Over the winter this is what it got:

• FMF Megabomb
  • FMF Powercore
  • Dobek EJK
  • Snorkel out, air filter screen removed
  • EBC 1313 clutch
  • Barnett springs
  • 14/50 Gearing
  • Proper sized tank and lots of cosmetic non-sense

That totally changed the bike, totally. I don't want to exaggerate and say it's 10x better but it sure feels like it. The stock L is the kind of bike you would want to teach your gal to ride on, the modded one is one you want to ride. Been commuting to work on it the last couple of days with a huge smile on my mug, it really rips now and with the new exhaust it sounds amazing.

Again, HUGE thanks to everyone for helping me and answering my questions.

20170430_140159.jpg

20170430_140209.jpg

20170430_140219.jpg

Edited by Kompact
Added gearing
  • Like 12

Looks great. I have similar power mods, but went with the 2" snorkle mod as I tend to get in the water from time to time. Running 13/40 gears, but have a 42 ready to go on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Force0321 said:

Only thing I see missing is Racetech suspension. It makes a huge difference for our bike!

giphy.gif&key=32dfdb5912faf4f5d035371f04                      +1 ... :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

Agreed! The last two things I want to do is the RT suspension and a Clake One Light Clutch conversion kit. I plan on doing the RT in the next month or so and the Clake at some point this summer. I'm not as young as I used to be and I find the clutch with the upgraded springs is rough on my arthritic hands. The Clake can be easily pulled with one finger, bloody expensive though.

• Like 3

Agreed! The last two things I want to do is the RT suspension and a Clake One Light Clutch conversion kit. I plan on doing the RT in the next month or so and the Clake at some point this summer. I'm not as young as I used to be and I find the clutch with the upgraded springs is rough on my arthritic hands. The Clake can be easily pulled with one finger, bloody expensive though.

I just ordered a Sunline perch with v1mdx lever for my yz, should have it installed for a ride Saturday. I'm going to try everything else before spending Clake money. I started a light clutch thread and one guy who documented all his stuff got the lightest pull with the Sunline. If it works good I'll order one for my Drz also, though clutch use on the big four strokes is almost optional. I got RT suspension on both ends of the yz, made a huge difference.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kompact said:

I find the clutch with the upgraded springs is rough on my arthritic hands.

Just a thought here, the stock clutch pull is very soft. Simply replacing the "judder spring" with a a standard clutch plate, is supposed to make night and day difference in clutch feel, without resorting to stiffer springs. 

As you have replaced the clutch components with Barnett, I assume that did away with the judder spring. 

Have you considered using the softer stock springs with the Barnett plates? Seems that would improve your clutch pull issue.

Doug 

Edited by rz_racer_69
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

I just ordered a Sunline perch ...

I'd love to hear your thoughts once you have it up and running.

18 minutes ago, rz_racer_69 said:

Have you considered using the softer stock springs with the Barnett plates? Seems that would improve your clutch pull issue.

I did think about that but I'm so happy with the way the clutch feels and pulls now I didn't want to monkey with it. With the current setup including gearing I can be at a complete stop in 2nd gear and without any throttle I can slowly release the clutch and get the bike accelerating. I've also been looking for an excuse to get a one finger hydrolic setup anyway  :)

• Like 2

Looks great man, all that work really paid off.

• Like 1