New To Me 04 DRZ400S

So i just picked up my first DRZ, got it off of a friend of a friend for $800 not running. Short history, it was swamped at one time and then taken to a shop and was running great again then it sat for a year and a half. So i started tearing into it, cleaned every electrical connection, slapped a new battery in it and verified that the engine would turn over. Headlight came on and the back-lighting of the display but nothing on the display though, will have to look into that. I will be ordering some new throttle cables and a carb rebuild kit first just to try and get it running before putting a bunch into it. I will be flushing a ton of oil through the engine before i even attempt to start it for the first time. Valve checks and a bunch of other stuff left to do... over whelming haha. Found a white two wire connector (Black Yellow / Black white) undone up by the headlight so ill have to look at the diagram to see what it is for. 

Has some nice goodies on it. Rack on the tail, ThumperTalk case protectors, and radiator guards. 

File_004.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_000 (2).jpeg

• Like 1

wow .. those jets look 'iffy' ... that connector is nothing its for an accessory button on the trip meter .. im sure you'll get it going though ..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cowpie said:

wow .. those jets look 'iffy' ... that connector is nothing its for an accessory button on the trip meter .. im sure you'll get it going though ..

Thank you have letting me know what that connector is. Yes they were pretty dirty and corroded. 

14 minutes ago, samacart said:

Might want to consider just ordering the JD jet kit now.

So the bike has already had the 3x3 mod done. I am just wondering if i can clean ip the jets well enough to be usable. 

Going through the forum it sounds like my display is garage. I get back lighting but no display. Sounds like a sorta common thing with these bikes. 

You can try carb cleaner, dried gas varnish is very stubborn.  Go to Jets-R-Us and get new pills, JD needle will be OK.  Pop for a Trail Tech and replace the stock instrument cluster.  For peace of mind, consider a full maintenance / lube.  Check the DRZ FAQs, esp the rear swing arm grease. 

Welcome aboard, the fun has just started.

• Like 1

The lonely plug behind the headlight is for a remote handle bar mounted trip odometer reset. It's fine that it's unplugged.

I'd replace the jets. Brass is cheap and you wont have to worry whether or not you got them right.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

I'd replace the jets. Brass is cheap and you wont have to worry whether or not you got them right.

I wonder if the current jets have a size on them or if i need to just go off the forums to pick the right ones.

35 minutes ago, samacart said:

I've got an OEM cluster that works great with only 412 miles on it.. could let it go for a fair offer. 

Nice ill keep that in mind, ill probably hold off on that since its not really required for the bike to run. Not completely sure if i am gonna keep this bike for a long time until i ride it around some. 

1 hour ago, DSheumaker said:

I wonder if the current jets have a size on them or if i need to just go off the forums to pick the right ones.

Nice ill keep that in mind, ill probably hold off on that since its not really required for the bike to run. Not completely sure if i am gonna keep this bike for a long time until i ride it around some. 

Oh, you say that now, wait till you start riding it.. 

16 hours ago, samacart said:

Oh, you say that now, wait till you start riding it.. 

Haha im sure that ill love it. I was planing on getting more of a dirt bike with barely any street. If this runs well from the get go without costing a fortune then i will for sure keep it.

12 hours ago, bumtarder said:

Grab a 10X loop and have a look at the brand and size marked on the jets then go from there.

thanks for the input!

Havent been able to work on it anymore yet, been prepping for my race weekend on my Ninja 300 at Summit Point.