Hey, I am looking for a new dirt bike in the $2000 range and I happened to come across a Cr250r it's a 2000 and looks good just wondering if it would be a smart investment. Is there a lot of maintenance that apply to 2-stokes plus it's a 2000? 

There is also a YZ250F that is a 2004 4-stroke for $1800 I want opinions and facts!

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

I'd definitely take the Honda over that.  Offer less. Is great bike in good condition . Doesn't look like it was raced and pounded on . No dents in front of pipe or roost marks all over forks like my bikes use too. The Yamaha looks good but id definitely take that Honda and I'm a Yamaha guy lol I'd take that one over any of the electric powervalve ones

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

That CR is regarded as one of the best ever. The motor is very reliable and simple to work on. It is also much stronger than the YZ

The YZ is mellower and easier to ride.

Either bike could potentially cost you significant money to restore to as new condition. The YZ has the potential to be a cost more than it's value to rebuild.

Please don't take what I'm about to say next the wrong way. If you can only afford a $2000 dirt bike, you're taking a huge gamble if you buy a 13 year old 4 stroke mx bike.

• Like 3

I fourth Honda

If it has low hours the two stoke should be the cheeper of the two to keep running. The Crs are known to be amazing. I personally have owned 2. If you do get it, I would replace the piston even if the guy said it was just rebuilt, check the crankshaft, the reeds, and the power valve. That way you know exactly what you have and you're not asking for surprises. Make sure it runs good because those carbs are known to be an absolute pain to jet. Also I think that yz is ugly. Just my thoughts.