Honda CRF250RE?

I just found about these UK-only models of the CRF line, why can't they come to the US? I love the idea of a tough trail bike that can be used to go short distance on roads legally and would love to see these in the future, but I imagine that US road laws are what is keeping them back. Any thoughts? Do you think Honda should release the enduros to the American market?

IMG_4253.PNG

(those plastics and muffler are stock by the way)

• Like 1

Honda UK model webpage says this about it : 

Designed for off-road use. Road legal, but suitable for minor/limited road use only. Extended road use may invalidate warranty.

link: http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/off-road/crf250re-2015/specifications.html

A lot of grey areas as to what it's really designed for, by the sounds of it only barely road legal to connect trails.

In Europe, bikes are required to be road legal to compete in enduro events, requirements are minimal

(pretty much head/tail lights & horn) but emission laws are catching up, hence the new fuel injected KTM 2-strokes for 2018)

The main reason it will likely never be offered in north america: doesn't meet EPA standards / would require a bunch of extra emission devices to comply.

Just compare say a 2008 CRF250R versus a very mechanically similar CRF250X,

even as an off-road only bike the CRF250X has a PAIR air injection system and much leaner carb settings just to meet regulations.

As with many other very interesting enduro/dual-purpose bikes marketed elsewhere around the world (many 2-strokes too),

unfortunately we'll never see them here because of environmental and DOT regulations.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Spagetto said:

I just found about these UK-only models of the CRF line, why can't they come to the US? I love the idea of a tough trail bike that can be used to go short distance on roads legally and would love to see these in the future, but I imagine that US road laws are what is keeping them back. Any thoughts? Do you think Honda should release the enduros to the American market?

IMG_4253.PNG

(those plastics and muffler are stock by the way)

Thanks!!! now I know what to do with my crf!! Love the colors!!! just add yellow/gold wheels and done.

Hope I can find all white plastics for the CRF.

:thumbsup:

Should be very easy and inexpensive to duplicate that bike here starting with a CRF used for enduros. And a plate should also be easy if you give it some creative thought.

Should be very easy and inexpensive to duplicate that bike here starting with a CRF used for enduros. And a plate should also be easy if you give it some creative thought.

Yeah but you have to buy all the plastics and dual sport light kit and then get it re-registered. Having all of that stock would much more convenient

2 hours ago, Spagetto said:

Yeah but you have to buy all the plastics and dual sport light kit and then get it re-registered. Having all of that stock would much more convenient

I think the CRF is far from street legal here in the US not only for noise level, emissions will be hard to pass, unless DMV does not request an inspection.

I sure hope it's got e-start, 6 gears, aggressive valving, and a bit of a fww to make it tractable off the bottom.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 8:53 PM, mlatour said:

Honda UK model webpage says this about it : 

Designed for off-road use. Road legal, but suitable for minor/limited road use only. Extended road use may invalidate warranty.

link: http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/off-road/crf250re-2015/specifications.html

A lot of grey areas as to what it's really designed for, by the sounds of it only barely road legal to connect trails.

In Europe, bikes are required to be road legal to compete in enduro events, requirements are minimal

(pretty much head/tail lights & horn) but emission laws are catching up, hence the new fuel injected KTM 2-strokes for 2018)

The main reason it will likely never be offered in north america: doesn't meet EPA standards / would require a bunch of extra emission devices to comply.

Just compare say a 2008 CRF250R versus a very mechanically similar CRF250X,

even as an off-road only bike the CRF250X has a PAIR air injection system and much leaner carb settings just to meet regulations.

As with many other very interesting enduro/dual-purpose bikes marketed elsewhere around the world (many 2-strokes too),

unfortunately we'll never see them here because of environmental and DOT regulations.

Much of this is why KTM stream lined their models for the EXC's, then we have the Husky's FE's and Beta RR-S model options

IMO the Japanese have lost touch with where the NA market is going cus all we have for OEM legal plated options is a Honda XR650L & CRF250L, a Suzuki DR650S & DRZ-400S and a Kawi KLR650 which are OK bikes both nothing I would ever buy if wanted a true plated dirt bike. (this is from Dirt Bikes March 2017 issues of the dual sport buyers guide)

I do like where Yamaha and Honda are going with their FX/RX bikes but IMO they will never be truly OEM street legal in NA.

With that said I do have a plated 2003 DRZ-400E (which is IMO and AWESOME bike on both the road and trail) that a buddy gave me to take care of for 4 years and all it has is a head light. If I actually got pulled over I might and an issue with not having mirrors, other lights etc so I just put on a rear brake switch and combo LED tail/brake/indicator light CUS IMO having a brake light is key. I'm now in the process of adding the front indicators and switch.

Only problem is the tight close ratio MX oriented gearbox. I'd like a fan too or the option to put one in without going aftermarket. The WR-F has a fan and the FX has a mount and wiring for one. Smart!

• Like 1

Looking at the Honda UK website, they also have a 'road legal' version of the CRF250X 

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/off-road/crf250x-2013/overview.html

from the pic it looks like they've added turn signals and a horn plus they mention:

'The road legal CRF250XRL model* will come with aluminium fuel tank, pro-racing light kit, ignition key'

From the few pics I've found online, it doesn't seem to have the PAIR 'smog pump' the north american models have since 2008, 

the horn is mounted in it's place.

I'm curious as well how they power the lights on the MX based CRF250RE: flywheel & stator wise.

Edited by mlatour

On 5/5/2017 at 9:20 PM, filterx said:

Much of this is why KTM stream lined their models for the EXC's, then we have the Husky's FE's and Beta RR-S model options

IMO the Japanese have lost touch with where the NA market is going cus all we have for OEM legal plated options is a Honda XR650L & CRF250L, a Suzuki DR650S & DRZ-400S and a Kawi KLR650 which are OK bikes both nothing I would ever buy if wanted a true plated dirt bike. (this is from Dirt Bikes March 2017 issues of the dual sport buyers guide)

I do like where Yamaha and Honda are going with their FX/RX bikes but IMO they will never be truly OEM street legal in NA.

With that said I do have a plated 2003 DRZ-400E (which is IMO and AWESOME bike on both the road and trail) that a buddy gave me to take care of for 4 years and all it has is a head light. If I actually got pulled over I might and an issue with not having mirrors , other lights etc so I just put on a rear brake switch and combo LED tail/brake/indicator light CUS IMO having a brake light is key. I'm now in the process of adding the front indicators and switch.

Yep. Last month I rode with a new guy I met at the trail head who had a new 400DRZ street model. He was surprisingly fast on the trails, even though very heavy the bike just worked. All he had added was good dirt tires. He said the smooth torquey motor was magic. Last Tuesday we rode and he was on his dialed in 01 KTM 200EXC, he was faster on the pig Suzuki! Go figure.

• Like 1

Ya i've posted this picture a number of times. Me on the DRZ400 and really riding this then getting back on my 250R should make me better on the 250R.

Phil.endrocross.thumb.jpg.f9f96ede4d9d788ed0e87f4d7e73a524.jpg

• Like 2