SWM RS300R REVIEW: a good budget enduro option?

Finally scored a ride on the SWM RS300R... very keen to see how it went as it looks like a proper enduro bike but at only $8300 plus on roads it's around the same price as a DRZ400. :grinning-

The good news? It's not made in China as some rumours have been claiming - it's made in Italy and in the same old Husqvarna factory that BMW refurbished while they owned the brand. 

This is essentially a rebadged Husky TE310 tweaked for more user-friendly power, and some extra goodies thrown in like Kayaba suspension and Brembo brakes.  Quality control appears to be very high from appearances, and hopefully it's the same story beneath the skin. Rider reports suggest this is the case so far...

The bad news? Nothing too bad at all really. The cable clutch is a bit heavy and mushy. And it ain't a serious enduro bike if you want to hit really gnarly stuff or go ape shit on the tracks. The website claims 112kg without fuel but it would have to be closer to 120kg. We did a bit of trackside lifting and this was heavier than a 70 degree Husaberg which weigh in at 115kg without fuel. And the Kayaba suspension is great for everyday riding but doesn't stand up too well to spirited riding. 

The bad news? Nothing too bad all... it has a fairly close ratio gearbox which is fine offroad but not so great for dual sport riding. The Magura hydraulic clutch is a bit heavy and feels kind of mushy. It's not a serious enduro bike compared to the latest releases as it is heavier and softer in terms of power. 

It is more like an excellent blend of dual sport and enduro and is like the love child of the WR250F and DRZ400 if mated. :)

Who might be interested? The SWM RS300R could be perfect for someone looking at dual sport 250s like the WR250R but finds them too boring. Or looking at a DRZ400 but wishing it had more top end, better suspension, and lighter weight. 

The SWM RS300R could also be great for anyone fairly new to dirt riding as the power in stock trim won't get you into trouble (test bike was remapped and had the Arrow exhaust fitted). It would take ages to outgrow this as a dirt bike as it is very capable on most tracks if you aren't too aggressive a rider.

If anyone is interested Andrew got a good ride on it too and did a review too from more of a dual sport perspective.

Edited by OZ DRZ
  • Like 1

Either I am going ever so slightly senile or just raving mad but that cable clutch seems to have a hydraulic reservoir attached to it !!!!

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 5:42 AM, johnnyboy said:

Either I am going ever so slightly senile or just raving mad but that cable clutch seems to have a hydraulic reservoir attached to it !!!!

possibly johnny... or i got it mixed up with the AJP i'm hoping to review lol. i'd already annotated the vid about this error.

• Like 1

I hope they sorted the hot starting issues Husky had with the 310s. If you go on the Husky forums, there are many still having issues. Glad I dumped mine.