Wr200 build thread

I can't stop tinkering on my wr200. I thought I would start sharing as I feel like I have learned a lot and I feel bad not sharing my ideas.

Originally I was going to take the drivetrain and put it in a newer chassis but I can seem to justify it as I have a clean title and the bike is working so well the way it is.

Anyways here is how the bike is looking. I will start posting up how it got to that point and some tips I've done. Then I'll post the progress as I move forward. Any questions ask away.

IMG_1434.JPG

• Like 5

Bike looks great! What all have you done to it? What are your next projects on this bike? Is there anything you wish you wouldn't have done to it? I love these bikes. please give us more information.

Thanks 

Jarod

Alright let's get started. I bought the bike in Oregon. It wasn't running right and had to be bump started so I was able to pick it up for 1300. Bike has a clean title and was in really good mostly stock form.

IMG_1450.PNG

Cleaned the tank and carb.
I threw on some hand guards, taller bars and a new front fender and hit the trails.

I was very impressed with the bikes motor and transmission but the front suspension yikes!!!

Somehow you felt every single little bump yet still bottomed out on everything. I hopped on Craigslist that night and found a 2002 yz125 being parted out and I went and bought the front suspension and wheel.

I have done a few front fork swaps and this one was the easiest and most rewarding. The whole front end went right on and everything lined up perfectly. Didn't need any conversion kit and once I dropped the forks in the clamp a little everything lined up great. I did a little bit of weight loss at that time and rode the bike like that for a few months. All smiles

IMG_0052.JPG

• Like 1

A few months later I was riding in the Pennsylvania. I went down a really steep hill into a bowl. I tried for about an hour to get back out but my rear tire wasn't up for the task. After this horrifying experience I ordered a new rear tire and a tubliss rear. While I was doing that I decided to pull the bike apart to paint the frame. I was worried about the bike getting rusty out east. I also threw some grip tape on. This also helped hide some of the weird angles around the air box.

IMG_1451.PNG

The bike still wasn't starting all that easily so I did some investigating. I found that the floats were set a bit too high which was causing the bike to flood easily. The reeds were also a bit worn out. The bike had a Boyesen Rad valve. I was able to find the correct part number by buying the reed for the DT200. Bike starts like a charm now.

IMG_1452.PNG

• Like 3

Now my only complaint with the bike was the foot pegs. No one seems to make a decent peg for the bike so I bought some weld on peg extensions. They went on easy and made the bike much more pleasant.

IMG_1329.JPG

• Like 2

I always thought the wr200 was a bit ahead of its time. Sure it's not the lightest bike ever but I came from a wr450 and this bike is worlds lighter than that. I put it on the scale at work ( I have a huge scale at my warehouse that's calibrated frequently) and real world weight with a full tank of gas ( 2.7 gal) 243. Not bad.

If you don't know much about the 200 it's a 6 speed wide ratio. It has a 2.7 gal tank and an 18 in rear wheel from the factory. It has a decent stator for running the stock headlight. The engine is pretty great.

What makes the bike so great is the low compression ratio. 6.3 to one. Let's compare that to a yz250 at 10.6 to one. This thing is a tractor. The power is incredibly linear. This bothers some people who are use to the two stroke hit. The electronic power valve is incredibly smooth so you feel almost no hit.

The looks of the bike are pretty cool but I wanted mine to look a bit more modern. Out came the dremel tool with the plastic cutting wheel first to go was the rear fenders. Took inspiration from my Wr250r and tried to make the rear fender look lines looks similar.

IMG_1388.thumb.JPG.e92471a28040091da7f7f5668011dde8.JPG

• Like 1

Now I started looking at the bike and trying to figure out what was still making it look old. I decided two things. The seat color is just a bit too retro and the front fender shrouds just look old school. The fender completely covers the large tank. What I decided to do was dye the tank black and trim the shroud to a more modern shape. IMG_2533.thumb.JPG.34e2a2dca2845fa2997f81c5d8db10fe.JPG

IMG_2536.thumb.JPG.a1e479321a31566f7527a884242bfaa5.JPG

I boiled the water and soaked the tank for 24 hours. While I was at it I threw the seat cover in there with it. The tank did dye black successfully but it was very flat.i added a very thin coat of plastic dip where the tank was exposed. It seems to be holding up well because only a couple of very small patches have paint so it's still able to breath and let the vapors escape.

I then trimmed the bottoms off the shrouds exposing the tank. This helped make the bike look a lot more sleek.

IMG_1436.thumb.JPG.22d8e6f8a3b05a62dda77e290fbef869.JPG

I did order a gripper seat cover that is being made and a better looking headlight. Still waiting on those parts.

I should also mention the bike already had an FMF fatty and powercore. This runs very well after I did some jetting and needle work. I also put in a uni filter and opened the air box up a bit. With these the top end is decent. Overall the motor feels very similar to my wr450. Very strong bottom end with a strong pull all the way up.

One thing that was bothering me about the looks of the bike was the rear chain slider and the old looking swing arm. I grabbed some gas tank decals for a 1980 yz250. I placed that on the swing arms and painted the tan chain slider with BBQ paint.

I have had really good luck with the rustoleum high heat paint. It seems to hold really tight and on most metal surfaces as the paint wears you don't notice because the exposed metal is the same color.

Before
IMG_1457.PNG

After

IMG_1453.JPG

Couple more things I have done this far that have helped.

Painted the rad covers black.

IMG_1454.JPG

Fat bar adapters and lo bend bars seem to sit about right on this bike. I usually run high bend bars but they didn't quite feel right on here.

IMG_1456.JPG

Very nice job on that bike wow. sweet job you've done:thumbsup: looks great 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Your mods look amazing. Plastic trimming and paint choices sure took 20 years off the bike. That's cool to know the front end was a bolt on.  Are you running the stock piston size and compression? Did you do anything with the rear shock? 

If mine would have been in better shape I could have went your route. Mine was seriously beat.  My Engine wasn't even a good core to start with.

IMG_1461.JPG

I managed to get the headlight wired up. It's a cheap one from eBay but it's surprisingly bright. IMG_1458.JPG

I will post some more pictures when I get the bike back together.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 9:46 PM, Ronnie.sensiba said:

IMG_0052.JPG

On 5/4/2017 at 10:28 PM, Ronnie.sensiba said:

IMG_1388.thumb.JPG.e92471a28040091da7f7f5668011dde8.JPG

You, sir, have an artist's eye. The side panel/rear fender trim is brilliant. :worthy: :thumbsup:

Those are cool woods bikes.... there's a super clean one on E bay right now..

I took the bike out for a shake down run today. Everything I have done has really helped. Took out the DSLR to get some better pictures. IMG_1478.PNG

IMG_1479.PNG

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1480.PNG

IMG_1482.PNG

IMG_1489.thumb.JPG.d9e616d950ecd0fa3b3a02881e28933f.JPG

Well guys in a turn of events I scooped up a 2001 yz125 for cheap. I'm starting the tear down to put the wr motor in.

I will have a ton of stock wr200 parts up for sale. Let me know if you need and body or suspension parts.

Also have the frame with a clean title

Good find! This will be sweet. keep us posted. I hope you don't go overboard with all the aftermarket parts available with this frame. Its very easy to blow the budget, I sure did. 

Jarod