Guys I've just picked up a KX125 for the lad and I'm thinking of changing out the old rear shock with a newer model KX250F. Does anyone know if this can be done.

Sure.  Swap the clevis and it'll probably bolt right on.  You will also need to clearance the airbox for the offset reservoir.

That said, it doesn't make any sense to bother with the swap.  Not knowing what year bike you're talking about I don't know for sure but I'm thinking its got the 46/16 KYB shock which will do anything you need it to if valved correctly. 

2006 model. It was just a thought as the current Shock only has the four positions for adjustment on the compression and rebound so I was thinking about changing it out with a more modern shock which has the fast and slow adjustment.

Should have at least sixteen clicks on the compression and rebound.  Like any shock, the compression adjustment doesn't have much effect.  It uses a shim stack for high speed blow-off instead of an adjuster.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  Some shocks have a high speed compression adjuster but this has limited effect.  No matter what you get it will likely need revalving to work well.

I have the same shock on my 05 250.  Needed to change a lot of shims to get the bottoming resistance I was looking for but its a perfectly fine piece of equipment.