Clutch basket, or?

Last night I was having trouble stopping in 1st with the clutch pulled all the way, keeps wanting to go. I adjusted my lever but there was no change. Is it likely the basket needing replaced rather than the plates or? If so, do the aftermarket baskets like Wiseco or Barnett has work with the stock clutch? 

I experienced that once and it was the inner basket the outer basket can cause it too. I know my stock plates worked with a Hinson hub so I would think you'd be fine with one of the others.

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

If the basket is worn, replace the fibers also. If the hub is worn, replace the plates also. I didn't when I replaced my basket and the extra clearance on the fingers of the fibers wore the new basket out pretty quickly. Didn't know they needed to be replaced together. Expensive lesson.

• Like 2

Take off the cover and inspect, Most likely the basket or hub is grooved and needs replaced!

• Like 1

@HRC27 @ThrustWasher @EnglertRacing @nate1001

Ok so I never did check my clutch as I traded it in right after this thread...but I just bought it back a couple days ago.

Heres the grooves in the basket. Inner hub has no grooves. Just wanna double check with you guys to see if this is the problem.

20180322_122721.jpg

Ive seen a lot worse, but that's a beginning for sure. One thing that Ive also seen is the cable is collapsing within itself and you loose the pull on the arm and you dont end up lifting the pressure plate as much as you think you are when you pull the lever all the way in.

• Like 1

I installed a new basket and tusk plates. Wasn't any tension in the lever so a I adjusted it but the tension is very very firm now? 

So I figured out I didn't have the rod in the lever correctly. But now, its like the rod is way too short all of a sudden? I put everything back in same as I took it out.

20180401_102648.jpg

20180401_102632.jpg

6 hours ago, slowngreen said:

So I figured out I didn't have the rod in the lever correctly. But now, its like the rod is way too short all of a sudden? I put everything back in same as I took it out.

20180401_102648.jpg

20180401_102632.jpg

Youre missing #19 and #20 33456125923af65211933c027f24f4e33b2a6e3a

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @Shawn_Mc but they are actually there. Just doesn't look like it in the pic. I did figure out the problem. The clutch I put in, was a cheap Tusk and all the plates are the same, no 1st plate. So the inside washer that goes on before the plates was holding them all out. I used my stock first plate and it fixed it. Guess I got what I paid for with Tusk haha.

2 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Thanks for the reply @Shawn_Mc but they are actually there. Just doesn't look like it in the pic. I did figure out the problem. The clutch I put in, was a cheap Tusk and all the plates are the same, no 1st plate. So the inside washer that goes on before the plates was holding them all out. I used my stock first plate and it fixed it. Guess I got what I paid for with Tusk haha.

Inside washer? You mean the judder spring? It's a belleville washer like thing that pushes back on the plates. I hate those things. I replace them with another disc. I even took the one out of my street bike.

Yeah that thing haha. I didn't know you could replace them with a disc. Either way, its working now. Glad to have the ol girl back.

Thanks for the reply@Shawn_Mc but they are actually there. Just doesn't look like it in the pic. I did figure out the problem. The clutch I put in, was a cheap Tusk and all the plates are the same, no 1st plate. So the inside washer that goes on before the plates was holding them all out. I used my stock first plate and it fixed it. Guess I got what I paid for with Tusk haha.
Tusk products are not bad for what you pay.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThrustWasher said:
1 hour ago, slowngreen said:
Thanks for the reply@Shawn_Mc but they are actually there. Just doesn't look like it in the pic. I did figure out the problem. The clutch I put in, was a cheap Tusk and all the plates are the same, no 1st plate. So the inside washer that goes on before the plates was holding them all out. I used my stock first plate and it fixed it. Guess I got what I paid for with Tusk haha.

Read more  

Tusk products are not bad for what you pay.

Actually I've never had trouble with them. Just wasn't the higher dollar choice but it is working and really smoothly too 

• Like 1

Actually I've never had trouble with them. Just wasn't the higher dollar choice but it is working and really smoothly too 
I had their impact rims on my crf and they were great and held up very well. I have alot of their tools and they all work good too. Their blind bearing puller has been excellent.
  • Like 1