I have a lot of trails near my house.  I mean a LOT.  It would be cool to have an app that would track the trails I am on.  Something with 3d capability would be cool as well.  Right now all I have is google earth to check out the 3d terrain.  It would be nice to have an app that tracked where I rode, and allowed me to see the trails I was on.  I've uploaded some pictures as an example of the trails I'm talking about.

Anybody used riding apps? Any recommendations for whats out there?

Trails1.JPG

Trails2.JPG

Would be a nice thing to have, seems like you would need steady cell reception for that to work though.

Space X is launching some 4,000+ satellites over the next 4-6 years or so to attempt globalizing internet. Maybe we'll see some stuff like this pop up in a few years, who knows

"Map my tracks" works for me. You need to have cell service to establish a satellite connection but after that it maps off of satellites.

44 minutes ago, jevyguy said:

"Map my tracks" works for me. You need to have cell service to establish a satellite connection but after that it maps off of satellites.

I do the same with a phone app called OsmAnd . you just download the maps for the states you will be riding in and then even when cell service leaves the satellites still track you. And then you can save and upload your track file 

I met a guy in the woods Tuesday who was using an app he got from the Polaris guys. It showed the entire trail in that NF area(LA) and showed where he was on the trail at any given time. It would also show another rider he was riding with if need be. He said it couls also be sent to his wife if he was down and needed help. Supposedly good all over the US. Should be shown on the Polaris site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Phone GPS , set to track points, upload to Google earth. Have cell and WiFi off to save battery life. Done

Garmin Topo will also do it, with more accuracy.

This sounds very interesting.  What is meant when you state "set to track points, upload to google earth"?  This sounds like the perfect solution.  

Actually, it is a very common and widely used method. Most GPS units let you 'make bread crumbs' where a 'bread crumb' (also called a track poin or a way point) is created over a time interval or a distance interval. The more 'bread crumbs' (every five seconds or say every 100 feet) the more accurate your mapping will be but... most systems are limited to the number of 'bread crumbs' you may create until you clear the memory and start over. Some only hold a few hundred, some top line setups will log 10's of thousands. These 'bread crumbs' are actually logitude and latitude numbers and are in a GPX file.

While this is pretty easy to do, it will take you a few days of reading and testing to get the hang of it. Google 'gpx file'.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, William1 said:

Actually, it is a very common and widely used method. Most GPS units let you 'make bread crumbs' where a 'bread crumb' (also called a track poin or a way point) is created over a time interval or a distance interval. The more 'bread crumbs' (every five seconds or say every 100 feet) the more accurate your mapping will be but... most systems are limited to the number of 'bread crumbs' you may create until you clear the memory and start over. Some only hold a few hundred, some top line setups will log 10's of thousands. These 'bread crumbs' are actually logitude and latitude numbers and are in a GPX file.

While this is pretty easy to do, it will take you a few days of reading and testing to get the hang of it. Google 'gpx file'.

So... is there an app for that? Are you saying its built into my android and I have to do some digging? 

7 minutes ago, Munition said:

So... is there an app for that? Are you saying its built into my android and I have to do some digging? 

No... I am saying you can do what you want to do, but you need to spend some time reading and learning.Did you Google GPX and read all the links?

My tracks on android tracks your trail ,tells your speed and pretty much tells you all you would want to know. Screenshot_2017-05-04-14-21-49.png

• Like 1

Osmand, locus, oruxmaps, back country navigator. Maverick, tons more. 

The gps antenna does not need cellular service, ever. Download free maps from openandromaps. 

There is no better accuracy between stand alone GPS devices than there is with smartphones. 

I normally see +/-3m accuracy while moving, in heavy tree cover.

Upload/download, share, save EDIT tracks right on your phone. 

I'm using the Kyocera duraforce. All day battery life, waterproof, rugged, fast as hell and not more than $60 on eBay. 

Screenshot_2017-04-29-06-50-09.png

• Like 2

I use Oruxmaps (free app) on a non-activated Android as dedicated GPS with an off-line topo map BUT Oruxmaps does have lots of free great on-line maps built in if you are in cell/wifi service.

With that said they may not show you the existing trails like Google Earth does but they are pretty good. I believe you can download Google Earth images as base maps but its beyond me.

Here is a screen shot of the Garmin Topo OFF-LINE in Oruxmaps zoomed out to 3KM

Screenshot_2015-08-09-11-10-35.png.5b86c1ff2848f0e9f061c66fda5575f9.png

This is the same recorded track but I switch a different on-line map once I was in cell service.

Screenshot_2015-08-09-11-17-48_zpsl3gqvj60.png.f487834a6571f276e1798b888c44363c.png

This near where I like and just started Oruxmaps and load a different on-line map and actually shows some of my local trails and I'm slightly surprised :)

Screenshot_2017-05-04-18-21-04.thumb.png.c23713349b66206fb3be54b88d306d1b.png

And I have recently gotten some GPS coordinated PDF maps of an area I occasionaly ride and this is in Avenza (free app) and IMO super simple and works great with or with out cell service.

Screenshot_2016-11-25-18-51-18.thumb.png.3d649e0b5d51c843747504b0d22b73e6.png

My whole dedicated set up was free and it cost me about $20 to make this mount that I put on when I actually need it.

20160515_102848.thumb.jpg.b0eec60a4312a465c6d98c6e44357bb1.jpg

There are TONS of options so you really need to figure out exactly want you want the app for. I use mine only when I go to areas I do not know and getting lost is a real possibility and ONLY use it to find my way back to my start point.

If you are riding in area's where getting lost is a possibility, be prepared and do not rely only on a GPS type device.

I would love to ride Utah :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 3

I use an app called GPS kit on iPhone I really like it.  This track is showing the elevation changes for,this ride The closer the color gets to red the higher the elevation is   You can export the GPX file and them import into google maps for a much closer detailed view of the ride.  Has a lot of features.  And you can sore your riding area maps in cache so you don't need cell coverage for it to track and display your current location.  Only thing I don't like about it, is on iPhone the only display mode is vertical, witch sucks cuz I have my phone mounted on the bike and I prefer horizontal view   But on iPad it will display horizontal.  I end up using google maps when I'm riding and just go to GPS kit if I need to back track to find my way back on a trail.   I also have a Garmin Oregon dedicated GPS and I hate it! Garmin functionality is really behind the times BUT my Oregon is many years old so probly not a fair comparison to a smart phone app.  I wired my bike with a 2 port USB plug so my phone is always being changed and I never run out of phone power  totally the way to go if you have bike with battery you can tap into the electrical system.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Bill_B
  • Like 1

On May 4, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Crf250raxel said:

My tracks on android tracks your trail ,tells your speed and pretty much tells you all you would want to know. Screenshot_2017-05-04-14-21-49.png

Is your track data is being collected right inside of google maps when on your ride?  If so how? 

2 hours ago, Bill_B said:

Is your track data is being collected right inside of google maps when on your ride?  If so how? 

Google maps is only the map tiles bring displayed in the background. The gpx track doesn't need map tiles, or cellular service. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ohgood said:

Google maps is only the map tiles bring displayed in the background. The gpx track doesn't need map tiles, or cellular service. 

Right ive been exporting my GPX files from GPS kit then importing into google maps. But if Google maps allowed collection of way points / tracks I may just use google maps. So I'm asking him if the data is collected in google maps or is it just imported into google maps.  

1 hour ago, Bill_B said:

Right ive been exporting my GPX files from GPS kit then importing into google maps. But if Google maps allowed collection of way points / tracks I may just use google maps. So I'm asking him if the data is collected in google maps or is it just imported into google maps.  

IMO Google Maps is not GPS app so I'm guessing its imported

I just found out the you now have to pay $3.99 to install Oruxmaps from the play store but I just upgraded and IMO well worth the $3.99 if you want a true GPS app on an Android.

12 hours ago, Bill_B said:

Again, Google maps (in the screenshot) is only a logo/branding on the map tiles. The map tiles are goggles product, used in the application. The gpx track is recorded by the app, which you can then export from the application to whatever map viewing service  (like Google Earth , Google my maps, gpsies, furkot, similar) and see your track on a larger computer screen if you like. 

Google maps does not have gpx file recording capabilities. Think of Google maps as a first step into understanding what agps enabled device can do, but it's abilities end shortly after that demo. 

10 hours ago, filterx said:

IMO Google Maps is not GPS app so I'm guessing its imported

I just found out the you now have to pay $3.99 to install Oruxmaps from the play store but I just upgraded and IMO well worth the $3.99 if you want a true GPS app on an Android.

Oruxmaps is still a free download from their website. ?

• Like 1

I ended up using this app called Geo Tracker.  It's worked pretty good.  The only thing I wish it had was an option to view the recording of my trip in real time.  I can export the kml files to google earth and play the trip, but it plays in a much higher speed than real time.  But it's doing the job I guess. 

FB_IMG_1494253542897.jpg

FB_IMG_1494253550240.jpg

FB_IMG_1494253557638.jpg

Edited by Munition
  • Like 1