I stole this from Vital but it's worth mentioning. KTM has been dominant lately in every style of offroad & mx motorcycling. So for all of the Orange haters out there you should really reconsider purchasing the best motorcycle available. All you need to do is find your local KTM dealer and you'll realize why they are so dominant.

Won top 5 positions in last SX race

Won GNCC top 5 plus 16 out of top 20 finishers

Won National Enduro by top 10 sweep

Edited by BBA
  • Like 5

I think it was a terrible mistake that the Japs never took off-road seriously and basically dumped that segment of dirt biking.

They basically left it open for KTM to dominate and fund their MX development.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of sales the off-road/mx market is for the Japs vs KTM.

• Like 4

I think the move for Japan was more strategic then some think... KTM is forced to be dominate in such a small market...

Honda looked and decided cars and jets, would be a more profitable route...

The music industry dominates motorcycles and for Yamaha has probably yielded 10x the profits of motorcycling. 

KHI for Kawasaki building oil tankers and heavy equipment, cha-ching!

And Suzuki could be much the same...

Someone said it best and I still think about it to this day. Honda could buy KTM, close shop, wipe their asses with the paperwork and it would be barely a blip on their financials... 

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, Monk said:

Someone said it best and I still think about it to this day. Honda could buy KTM, close shop, wipe their asses with the paperwork and it would be barely a blip on their financials... 

Love it!!!!

• Like 5

The above may very well the truth, and to be clear ive never owned a KTM and im not a hater...

what IS important to me is that KTM is putting in the effort while it appears that the Japs aren't, well OK just beginning to.....

I tend to prefer the RED bikes, but that's just from the past few decades of experience, combined with the fact that at my riding skill level, ALL brands make a machine beyond my ability, so for me it just comes down to price...and there KTM suffers (depending on your point of view of coarse)...

So cudos to KTM....keep stirring the pot.....keep making the resale value of those used jap bikes even lower....Im loving the bargins !!!

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Arctic Pride said:

And now they're working on a MotoGP championship...

Yeah I wonder what their goals are with this. The only sport bike they have is the RC390, which is a thumper, and their naked street bikes are v twins, as was their RC8. So now they have a v4 GP bike, so they must be gathering intel for their next superbike. I like v4's so if this means they're coming out with a v4 superbike, that would be great. Aprilia really struggles in MotoGP too but everyone seems to think the RSV4 is great. 

• Like 1

MONK QUOTE FROM ABOVE:

"Someone said it best and I still think about it to this day. Honda could buy KTM, close shop, wipe their asses with the paperwork and it would be barely a blip on their financials... "

I have seen other corp. giants do this very thing...problem with this mentality is that the PEOPLE are not purchased and thus they move on and start a new company that again, starts to steel the giant's food. And typically with the buyout capitol the new product is even better than the last...

Over time the giant can't keep buying up the up-starts without pulling down on there own resources, and eventually that affects the particular division of the giant, resulting in losing much of its influence with the corp. board.....the end result is typically a slow painful death....

So Honda may be able to buy KTM, absorb it or cut it to pieces but it wont matter for very long....

but no matter...KROC is going to come back and put RED back on the top step....!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

Yeah I wonder what their goals are with this

They used the MX championship to develop a winning bike and program, I expect them to do the same here

• Like 1

Well lets see.....

Highest horsepower, pretty much the lowest weight, including electric start (recently), hydraulic clutch, "Oversized" braking rotors compared to other brands, Brembo brakes,aluminum oversize bars since forever, Excel rims, adjustable triple clamps for a very long time....

I wonder why they started to be more dominant?

While the other guys gave you steel bars, junk brakes, cable clutch, junk rims, junk sprockets, non adjustable parts.....hmm.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BBA said:

I stole this from Vital but it's worth mentioning. KTM has been dominant lately in every style of offroad & mx motorcycling. So for all of the Orange haters out there you should really reconsider purchasing the best motorcycle available. All you need to do is find your local KTM dealer and you'll realize why they are so dominant.

Won top 5 positions in last SX race

Won GNCC top 5 plus 16 out of top 20 finishers

Won National Enduro by top 10 sweep

I'd have to agree, One little company embarrasses not one but all FOUR large manufacturers with their variety of quality 2 wheeled products they offer. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

One little company...

Hardly one "little" company.

Also don't forget how KTM was considered a pile of junk back in the beginning of the millenium.    If you rode a KTM, you were a slow spode who didn't know how to ride a motorcycle.   
I stated probably in 2005 here on TT that KTM was going to start putting some serious money and time into these bikes, and they would take it by storm.   I figured it would be around 2010, but still....

Everything changed for KTM when they landed Decoster. From that point on they were legit.  Once they got Dungey They just needed RV to retire.  When that happened it was game over thanks for playing.  

IMO, KTM needs to sign Forknor when his contract is up with Kawi next year to keep this thing going. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

I'd have to agree, One little company embarrasses not one but all FOUR large manufacturers with their variety of quality 2 wheeled products they offer. 

Their argument is "we are a motorcycle company" this gives them 100% focus on that product while other companies have plenty of other divisions. In reality the big jap brands would not pull $ from one division to another, they operate them like separate companies that simply share a logo.

• Like 3

Their argument is "we are a motorcycle company" this gives them 100% focus on that product while other companies have plenty of other divisions. In reality the big jap brands would not pull $ from one division to another, they operate them like separate companies that simply share a logo.

How far out of the game is suzuki? Only one that was still doing parallel 2 stroke twins out the big 4. Highest output 2 stroke 800cc non direct injected engine last year. Ktm can't take that trophy. Where's a ktm sled? I'd bet it would be a Polaris....

I have a KTM 350 XCF-W.  Great bike.  I also have a Beta 300RR, another great bike.

i've had KDX175,200,250's, PE175's, MR250's, Husky WR250, KTM GS175, KTM MXC350, TM250's and I always seem to go back to KTM.

I wish the the Japanese company's would have a better selection.  That would benefit all.

Rgksr

• Like 2

I've been riding for a long time (I'll be 60 on Saturday).  I was always a Yamaha rider, until the late 90's, when I realized how good KTMs were.  Just bought a KTM 500EXC.  Where's the Japanese equivalent?  To be fair, I think the YZ250 is still a great pff road bike.  Sold my last one last year to finance the 500.

As far as KTM's intentions, they are pretty clear that they want to dominate off road and a bigger share of the street market.  There have been several interviews with KTM leadership published in the past couple of years.  

Edited by pplassm1979
  • Like 4