Fork Assembly - Rebound Adjuster

I have an assembly question for the forks on my 2014 YZF450

On step 27, When installing the rebound adjuster there is supposed to be a 1mm gap between the locknut and the adjuster.

Then in step 28, you hold the locknut and turn the adjuster. When I perform this step I lose the 1mm gap, is this correct? OR should the adjuster tighten down on the rod and the gap remain at 1mm?

I am want to get this right because of the note saying, "if installed with a gap out of specification, correct dampening force cannot be obtained"

Thanks for your help!

590b5e926e00e_2017-05-0323_48_00.thumb.jpg.186107fd5d3d91706245e52aa7b08a1f.jpg

The nut should be run down until it runs out of thread and stops. Then, with the rebound clicker backed all the way out, the adjuster must be screwed down until the rod bottoms out in the threads of the adjuster body.  At that point, there should be a gap between the nut and the adjuster.  THEN, the lock nut must be run up against the bottomed out adjuster body and tightened to the specified torque.

The only reason they want you to see a gap between the nut and adjuster is to ensure that the nut did not stop the adjuster from being run all the way down on the rod (which is the same reason the clickers need to be backed out).  The nut MUST be tightened during assembly.

More details: https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/680824-base-bolt-jam-nut-clearance-06-yz-450-fork/#entry6860151

Thanks Gray! They should rewrite that section of the manual, making note that the gap is only for one step, and will go away.  Its rare to have a precise measurement, and then directly counteract that in the next step.  I understand the mechanics behind it now, thanks.