Sign in to follow this  

XT 225 mystery part!

Interesting love a good mystery.  I would try pulling up the parts schematics and see if you can find it.  Good luck!

At first I thought the pattern looked fairly similar to one on the down tube of my 89 xt right around where the skid plate mounts to the frame. The more I look at my bike I notice a few other possibilities along the frame where that could possibly mount, but I don't see anything that specifically resembles that bracket. 

Try going on yamaha parts house .com and look through the diagrams

Im actually in the middle of working on my 81 xt
  • Like 1

Man I have a mystery part that I just can't seem to figure out where it came from. I've asked around looked through multiple parts diagrams but no luck. I think it possibly came from the secondary throttle valve and if not then I'm pretty positive it was like the base to a spring and helped it to stay in place or whatever. Any possibilities?

20170503_012437.jpg

20170503_012413.jpg

I'm thinking it came from around the airbox or tank. I had to pull the airbox and pressure wash it because the air filter had dissolved lol. I bought it and a drz 250 from the same guy. It may have come off the drz. Im going to start going through the diagrams. I use cheap cycle parts.com for my parts reference just so I don't have to go to a different website for every brand bike, and you can cross refenrence part numbers on the site. Very handy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mathius lynch said:

Man I have a mystery part that I just can't seem to figure out where it came from. I've asked around looked through multiple parts diagrams but no luck. I think it possibly came from the secondary throttle valve and if not then I'm pretty positive it was like the base to a spring and helped it to stay in place or whatever. Any possibilities?

20170503_012437.jpg

20170503_012413.jpg

Looks like one of those spacers/ bushings that fit in to a plastic dohnut on a choke linkage to me. can't see it real well. Can you get a side view and put a little more light on it? Also looks like a spring base. There's no accelerator pump on that one is there?

I defenitely think its a spring base, I'm just confused as to where it came from considering I can't find any real mention of it in the carburetor diagram or any other reference. I took some hopefully better photos of itsnd included a spring on one to show. I seem to think its part of the jet needle assembly but the diagram just shows like 2 plastic spacers between a washer type deal and a spring. I may just have To take that apart again and reevaluate everything. I knew there would be something not right considering this is my first time ever rebuilding a carburetor. Thank you for your help by the way. I really do appreciate it. 

20170507_144102.jpg

20170507_144321.jpg

20170507_144407.jpg

On 5/6/2017 at 4:32 PM, Michael45 said:

Im actually in the middle of working on my 81 xt

How's your 81 coming along? If its anything like mine I started with intentions of carb rebuild and now its turning into as much of a complete rebuild/revitalization that I can do. Aside from the carb I really want to leave any other motor stuff to someone that has some experience. As much as I'm doing it step by step and documenting everything I don't want any more mystery parts showing up. I still am not positive exactly where it came from which bothers the heck out of me.

Did you figure out what part that is? It looks like this, 1KH-24187-00-00 Fuel Tank section

Edited by Rocketj

On 5/20/2017 at 0:58 AM, mathius lynch said:

How's your 81 coming along? If its anything like mine I started with intentions of carb rebuild and now its turning into as much of a complete rebuild/revitalization that I can do. Aside from the carb I really want to leave any other motor stuff to someone that has some experience. As much as I'm doing it step by step and documenting everything I don't want any more mystery parts showing up. I still am not positive exactly where it came from which bothers the heck out of me.

My 81 project is at a halt right now, i just moved so everything is boxed up. i didnt find anything in the manual, but it kinda looks like a gastank rubber gromet. 

Gotcha. Moving is such a pain in the a$$. Good luck with all of that. I'm to the point now that I'm just going to continue with the restoration of the bike and when I've done everything I can I'll just have to take it to a shop to give it the final run through. Just need a second set of eyes and someone with more experience than myself to give it the final approval and catch any mistakes I've made. I'm in no rush, its therapeutic for me working on it, obviously not nearly as much as riding it but the sentimental value in the bike really makes me want to do everything right and take 0 short cuts. I guess if that was the full truth I wouldn't have attempted to work on it in the first place but at that point I really didn't trust anyone else to work on it, even though I didn't know the first thing about motorcycle mechanics and carburetors. Would say I'm self taught but really my education comes from these forums, Google, and a little from Clymers.

5 hours ago, mathius lynch said:

Mystery part no more. Found this pic from a distributor out of Europe.

mysterypart.jpg

Nice job good luck post some pics of the bike when its done

• Like 1