Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Sorry all.  I'm sure there is plenty of info on the forum regarding this topic already, but I am apparently challenged when it comes to searching.  I do not know much about jetting but have been researching and readying about the "Dave's Mods" and am confident i  can handle that and plan to do it to the bike shortly after i get it (couple weeks away).  The bike is completely stock presently with very low miles (just over 100).  Question is this:  I don't plan any internal engine mods but I do plan to de-smog right away.  When $$ permits I plan to do the following all at once:  Uni filter and remove snorkle; FMF Q4 (possibly with the stock headpipe or power bomb); Dave's mods to carb.  Like i said I do not know much about jetting but I did have installed a dynojet kit in my Brute Force when i put on the new muffler and filer.  I see they have a Stage I and Stage II available that would appear to fit the bill in my case.   Which one should i go with?  I am looking more for proper jetting with the increased air flow and to correct the lien issue than I am for shear power.  Also, would I be better off just ordering the specific jets as i have seen elswhere on the forum from jetsrus or whatever the site is?  I will ride primarily Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan so no crazy elevations to consider.   Thanks in advance for helping out an old guy new to the forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay away from DynoJet kits.  They don't use standard sizes.

If you want a good jet kit, get the one from Factory Pro.  They don't bother with the Stage I, Stage II crap.  They give you a range of four main jets that should cover pretty much all circumstances.  And they include a metering needle with five clip positions that is otherwise shaped the same as the stock needle.  Not that weird stepped thing that I've seen photos of.

Opening up the airbox will probably make the biggest difference in power and should require you to go up one size in main jet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:facepalm: Just because YOU don't really understand carburetors doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Dynojet , Scott. There is no stage  1 or 2.

Edited by JoeRC51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

:facepalm: Just because YOU don't really understand carburetors doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Dynojet , Scott. There is no stage  1 or 2.

Oh, but I do understand carburetors.  It's DynoJet's numbering scheme that I don't get.  So the post I was responding to was wrong, asking about Stage I and Stage II?  I'm just trying to make sense of it all and recommend what seems to have caused the least confusion when others have posted about their jetting experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you stop commenting about DJ kits and leave the buyers alone , they'll be fine. Your confusion adds confusion to others , why throw your confused 2 cents into the mix ? They come with simple instructions , they don't just give you parts with no info. The DJ kits now come with 5 jets to include high altitude riders , the adjustable needle , the fuel screw tool and a 5/32 drill bit to drill the slide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate all replies.  What i am confused about is that i just looked again on vendors sites as well as DJ and they clearly offer a Stage 1 and a Stage 2 kit for the 650L.  I have also read that the DJ numbering is different than Keihin?  I don't know if that's true without more research but I am one that does like consistency.  Again, I appreciate all thoughts as I don't know much about carbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were me, I'd stick to the same brand jets as carb. Unless I was in a country where near impossible to obtain such, and desperate enough to try something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toddfather, I'm a mechanical idiot and managed the pull off "D-Mod" and de-smog my bike. I jetted the carb following recommendations from other members in these forums. I used "Jets R Us". Couldn't be happier as it was an immediate, noticeable difference in UMMMFFFFF when I hit the throttle  for the first time. FMF going on this weekend and hopefully that adds an extra kick. I can't remember the jets I installed, I'll have to check when i get to the house, but I'm in northern NY, just south of Canadia, so it shouldn't be far off from what you would need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eslo80 said:

Toddfather, I'm a mechanical idiot and managed the pull off "D-Mod" and de-smog my bike. I jetted the carb following recommendations from other members in these forums. I used "Jets R Us". Couldn't be happier as it was an immediate, noticeable difference in UMMMFFFFF when I hit the throttle  for the first time. FMF going on this weekend and hopefully that adds an extra kick. I can't remember the jets I installed, I'll have to check when i get to the house, but I'm in northern NY, just south of Canadia, so it shouldn't be far off from what you would need.

That sounds good.  If you could get the jet sizes to me when you get a chance that would be great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

If you stop commenting about DJ kits and leave the buyers alone , they'll be fine. Your confusion adds confusion to others , why throw your confused 2 cents into the mix ? They come with simple instructions , they don't just give you parts with no info. The DJ kits now come with 5 jets to include high altitude riders , the adjustable needle , the fuel screw tool and a 5/32 drill bit to drill the slide.

It's coming with a drill bit now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

It's coming with a drill bit now?

The JD does too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed the Dynojet kit.  It was an easy install.  No drilling required. I did have to cut the tab on the bowl for the fuel mixture screw but a drimmel tool made quick work of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BillsXr said:

I installed the Dynojet kit.  It was an easy install.  No drilling required. I did have to cut the tab on the bowl for the fuel mixture screw but a drimmel tool made quick work of it.

The 5/32'' drill bit is to enlarge the vacuum holes in the bottom of the slide , like ''Dave's Mod''.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

The 5/32'' drill bit is to enlarge the vacuum holes in the bottom of the slide , like ''Dave's Mod''.

Thanks,  I can see the drilling helping but just saying it wasn't in the instructions that's all.  Thanks Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×