XR100R Sprockets

My son has a 2001 XR100R 4 stroke and he has out grown it. He is 14yo 5'8' 160 lbs and it is underpowered. I don't have $$ to get him a bigger bike right now so what I would like to do to get a little more out of it by changing the sprockets to give him more power for the track. He rarely gets out of 3rd gear because of the lack of power. It has a 14 tooth in the front and 50 in the rear. What would be a good option to switch to?  

All that will happen with a gearing change in the final drive is he will be required to run in a higher gear to maintain the same speed .................. no gain in power!:excuseme:  Way too big for a 100 ................ but perfect for a summer job ($ for larger bike). ;)

Old School Al

Yea, I didn't think of it that way. He wants to work, that's not a problem. He is my riding buddy so I don't want him to work too much so we can't ride. Haha. :ride:

• Like 1

A BBR kit will get a some needed HP out of it.  It's will turn it into a pretty fun bike.  We have much bigger adults just ride the crap out them.  It will force him to ride faster to keep up. 

How much for BBR kit?

Edited by tjne

I believe most would encourage you to save your money, sell your 100, and move up a larger bike in your situation.  Sorcal likes to get together with guys riding tricked out ($$$) 100's which is lots of fun and perfectly fine.  A little more power in a 100 with a 160 lb rider on a track brings you to another problem............lack of suspension ($$$)!  If you don't address lack of suspension, frame breakage and engine case breakage is very common on XR100R's.................and the list goes on!  Pretty soon you'll still have a little 100 with a big rider, more money into it than you can ever get out of it, and a son that is not happy with it and discouraged.:excuseme:

Old School Al

Maybe this summer when it's hot as hell (FL) and we aren't riding as much we can sell it first then put the money toward a bigger bike.

1 hour ago, tjne said:

Maybe this summer when it's hot as hell (FL) and we aren't riding as much we can sell it first then put the money toward a bigger bike.

Don't know how you handle the heat.............and humidity!  Actually people are way more willing to buy and pay the most during riding season.  A clean 01 XR100R should bring top dollar then and sell fast.:thumbsup: 

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Lol. I am a firefighter/paramedic, you learn to deal with the heat.

• Like 1

Al is right, but I'm thinking just trail riding. I figure $240 for a kit that would allow you to keep the bike for another year maybe until you can get a 85 or 125 two stroke or a 250f.  Plus . . . here's kinda the real reason, it'll make a super fun play bike for you. :thumbsup:   But, I'm just think of buying you some time.