Jump to content

My airstricker journey, 125 07 come and join the ride

Recommended Posts

So, iv had the bike 6months now and to cut along story short so here goes

iv taken it out twice , and both times it's bogged like mad, so got pissed off with messing about jetting it with the mikuni carb

so fitted the air striker 38mm, it was a squeeze, had to take rear sub and shock off , and it just squeezed in between the engine and the frame .took about 1.5 hrs to do, It came spec for cr 250 . I knew it wouldn't run properly , but thought wtf give it a go,so as exspected it bogged like a 12 yr old having his first pint, 

ordered the jd kit from he states, fitted the recommended spec , 

blue needle #4 pilot 45 main 185, this was bit of pain in the arse , although I could get to main jet via the 17mm sump , I couldn't get to the pilot, basically had to remove sub and undo the top of the rear shock to move it out the way, took about an hour 

fires it up, starts 2nd kick as always , no chocke , I'm no guru but it sounded a bit lean bottom end, but would hit a bogging spot mid way when revving hard, see vid

i adjusted as to 1 screw out , and to me it sounds ok low down, still had the bogging mid point

next set clip to #3 and changed main to 180, it pretty much ran as before but I would say it was probably bogging a little low down aswell as mid range.

the best iv had it running is in the video

blue needle #4 main 180 pilot 45 as 1 out 

I was thinking the mid range bogging was over jetting, but am I barking up the wrong tree, it could be actually bit lean?

i haven't done the plug chop, as iv not got chance to take it out, I'm just getting the basics with it being in the stand 

Factors

its got map switch settings 1 & 2 

clean air filter

piston and rings look good

run 50/1 with 97 octane juice 

reeds in good shape 

I may try fitting the green needle , it's got to be worth a shot 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_1985.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tight fit, but the boot went on pretty easy, was just fiddly fitting the boot clip

IMG_1978.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^*This is far as I can tilt it to get to the 17mm nut , which is ok to change the main jet, but have to take carb out to change the pilot, why would someone design something that you can only do half a job 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to upload vid , but looks like it don't support the file, I suspect I'll have use via photo bucket or something, but need to switch off from this for ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

All Honda aluminum frames make it overly difficult to adjust a carburetor

Yep, these alloy frames may look pretty, but makes life tricky when working on it, I'm more bemused why would keihen design a carb that you can only get to the main jet via bowl nut!another 3mm bigger would of sorted it , 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CRJohnny said:

I go no dramas taking mine out of a 99 frame, trick is yo take off both boot clamps and it's just slides out ?☀️?

Mines the long body type, plus it's got v force , couldn't be any tighter if I I tried 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at the oring in the plug mark it on the float bowl then cut out the crap in the way at an angle so you can reach the pilot jet, it's no big deal if some of the threads are cut the plug will still thread in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have changed the needle to red one

p45 m180 AS 1 out  15c @ 240ft 

still bogging , I'm guessing running rich, looked at plug and its oily , but this was just on the stand,

Edited by fakesy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reved it up and sprayed wd around the reed block to check for air leaks,and fck me, there was a slight air leak around one the bolts, I replaced all the chewed up bolts with Allen bolts and didn't tighten it up 100%, so replaced the Allen bolts with hex heads ( easier to get to with spanner)and also used gasket sealant on the gaskets, sounded a  lot better on the stand, it has a tiny bog on the stand which I can clear by giving it a handful.took it for quick spin around a car park, and was pretty pleased,no bogging and crispy.

hopefully will get up the track for decent ride, hopefully allmost there ,just need a few tweeks I suspect 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the track was closed,so didn't manage to get on her,

this is after tightening the reedblock bolts

red needle #3  main180 pilot45 AS 1 out

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the bike up the track, she went well, no bogging and nice and crisp, I'm not sure, but it could be running a tad lean

done plug chop,it's bit wired as it appears only 1/2 of plug looks  used ,what u guys think, 

 

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried turning As out 1/2 a turn, it didn't like it .I'm going to up the main to 185 and see from there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think it's running lean - then turned the air screw out 1/2 turn , it just got leaner in my opinion . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×