Sign in to follow this  

Xr650l won't idle

The other day I was riding and suddenly she bogged out and stalled. Gas and oil were full and it had some smoke coming out the oil fill hole

after a bunch of cranks I got it started and rode home. Stallled again and eventually got it started. Could keep it idling only if I held the throttle and revved like 3000. 

I went thru the carb last night and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Put it back in and drained and replaced fuel. Same problem. Took about 50 cranks to fire. Still won't idle. 

Its a 2001 xr650l. Daves mods and full exhaust. Oil cooler.  55 000 km on the odo about 20000 on rebuilt top end 600r piston

what do you guys think is going on?  I know the cam was close to wear limit when I did the top end..

Could a CDI going bad also do this?

The spark appears to be strong and consistent. Valves still in spec. Carb is cleaned and jetting correct 158/55 brownish plug. I'm baffled ?

Took the air filter off and Sprayed some starting fluid in and it didn't help at all

Cranking volts vary 0-8v at coil. Is that normal or should it be around 12v?

So it looks like the timing jumped a tooth. Or could it be out this much from stretching 

IMG_3520.JPG

Edited by buddasahk

Timing chain is just ''stretching'' , leave it be. Retarding the cam will give you more power  , they're tuned like lawnmowers stock anyway.   😏

On 5/10/2017 at 2:11 AM, buddasahk said:

Cranking volts vary 0-8v at coil. Is that normal or should it be around 12v?

My 2008 XR has trouble starting and Idling below 12V.  This could be your issue especially if you have some aftermarket electronics added on.  Smoke out of the oil fill hole?! How much?

No issues with battery it was hooked up to trickle charger. There was a bit of smoke, but I was rat bagging it before it happened. Just about to pull the motor out now 

I had the exact same symptoms and it turned out to be loose wire connections by my cdi box.