01 and up CR250 susp

Need info on what shock springs you guys are using in the 190-205 range for woods use. I am 194 before gearing up and have a 5.3 on my 01. With 102 rider sag I get 38 static. But unless I dial in a good bit of HS comp I still bottom very hard on big roots, small logs etc.  3gal tank and a five lb tool bag on the back fender. Good C to slow B on my best day.  I also have a 5.1 and 5.5. Overused sandy loam trail beat to a pulp and lots lots lots of roots.

Edited by YHGEORGE

I'm 225 before gear, and run a 5.6 on the rear shock. This is on a '01 CR250.

Thank you. That gives me a perspective on my 5.3 with my weight. I am considering going back to my 5.1 to try this weekend. Still running TORCS?  Hope its going well. :thumbsup:

I recently went back to my stock spring (4.95 kg).  Previously ran a 5.2 and decided it was too heavy without a calving change.   Now focusing on clickers and pre load for all adjustments.

16 hours ago, greg-15 said:

I recently went back to my stock spring (4.95 kg).  Previously ran a 5.2 and decided it was too heavy without a calving change.   Now focusing on clickers and pre load for all adjustments.

What is your weight before adding riding gear? Woods use? What will your initial pre-load setting and sag be? Thanks.

Edited by YHGEORGE

About 200.     Try servicing your shock with fresh oil and nitrogen.     Make sure the shock is filled up al the way with oil during assembly.     The bike is much easier to ride all around with the stock spring.   Your 5.1 kg spring should work well.

Edited by Greg Kendrick

2 hours ago, Greg Kendrick said:

About 200.     Try servicing your shock with fresh oil and nitrogen.     Make sure the shock is filled up al the way with oil during assembly.     The bike is much easier to ride all around with the stock spring.   Your 5.1 kg spring should work well.

I was asking greg-15,,,now I am very confused. I am 195 and my oem 4.9 had me bottoming constantly. Went to a 5.1, now on 5.3.

You guys know there's online spring calculators that give you the spring rate you need for your type of riding and body weight right?  And yeah, of course if you haven't had your shock serviced in a while I would take it to a local shop, or do it yourself if you have the means.  If you pull the spring off and move the shock by hand it'll be obvious if it has no oil and N2.

BOTH of my shocks are fresh with less than 10 and 20 hrs of trail use respectively. I am trying to get some ideas on different springs guys my size have found to work well . I have been to three different calculators and all differ. The RT site changes occasionally with the exact same input. ??? Thanks guys.

210-215 w/o gear. i run a 5.7 on the stock shock and a 5.8 on the 2010 CRF Showa.  I run Hare Scrambles and woods with this setup and it feels pretty dialed in.